Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Anybody got one?  I just got mine from my company last week.  The thing is awesome.  Full time connection to you e-mail.  The main reason we got them is to have access to a new web based reporting system that we've developed.  We roll up all of our client data and then allow Account Executives (that's me) to access all of our billing, contract, and support data.  We are actually running two sites side by side.  One is for desktop browser use, and the other is reformated to text only, 160 pixels wide for Blackberry/PDA viewing.

The system works awesome.  I have Go.Web access to the internet via my blackberry.  I can get on dirtrider.net and view some of the forums.  There's a limit as to how much data you can download at one time.  It cuts off the page just above the MX forum.  I can get to all more threads by using the posted since last visit search.

Okie, how about a parrellel text version for PDAs?  :scream:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think TwinSpar has one of thos Dinglyberry things.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
We have those at work for our Trust Officers and the President. They are pretty cool, but I'd never want one.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Being a bit techno-phobic, I am just now learning how to use my Palm Pilot and I'm not enjoying the experience. Glad you like your blackberry!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I got sick on olollaberries once. Threw up all over the rear window from the backward facing seat of a station wagon. Gave the cars behind us a good show!

Some of you may think this is off-topic, but I submit that it is not.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I had one and now have the Treo phone (cell, pda, email, blah blah blah).  It's nowhere near the email platform that the blackberry is.  I loved the blackberry.  The only thing that I didn't like about the unit was that I was the first person in the company to break one. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
and you guys call ME a fruit.:|

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Twinny,

I was about to replace my old Palm and my phone with a Treo.  But, I was told to hold off until after the first of the year.  My manager knew we were getting the blackberrys.  So, now I'll just upgrade my phone.

It's already been nicknamed "Crackberry"  since it's so addictive.

I think the treo is a good platform.  It's supposed to have better web capabilities than the blackberry.  Did you see that Handspring and Blackberry have formed a Joint Venture.  So, you could see blackberry e-mail on your Treo in the near future.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Timr
Twinny,

I was about to replace my old Palm and my phone with a Treo.  But, I was told to hold off until after the first of the year. 

Yup.  The technology has some maturing to do but we like to live on the hemoraging edge of technology.  Eudora makes some good applets for web browsing and email (for the Treo) that help to make is somewhat more palatable.  The web browser is text only so it makes sites that are non-pda friendly, tolerable.  The biggest drawback thus far has been Sprint service.  It just doesn't have the coverage that my AT&T phone had.

Oh yeah.... there is another drawback to the device.  You looking like a freaking dork talking on a pda. 

** shut your yap Elk... I know I left you a thousand openings with that last line... you fruit!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by TwinSpar
Oh yeah.... there is another drawback to the device. You looking like a freaking dork talking on a pda.
So it was perfectly normal for you? :p

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
And I thought Elk would be the first to jump on the opening that I left.  Guess I should have included PantyWad in the "shut your yap" disclaimer. :flame:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah well you geezers always seem to be forgetful and slow so it was more like tripping over the Grand Canyon. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Patman gets the holeshot on your stupidity but I'd like to add, well, nevermind...:|:moon:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Any of you guys messed with Blue Tooth stuff? I seen some neat stuff in Europe last week.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
So, is this Blackberry better than the Palm? Did I just blow a chunk o' change on that Palm Pilot for the little woman?

Should I be kickin' my own ass?

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by XRpredator
So, is this Blackberry better than the Palm? Did I just blow a chunk o' change on that Palm Pilot for the little woman?

Depends on what the reasoning was for the device.  If you bought it for it's pda functionality then you bought the correct platform.  The Blackberry's strength is email.  It's pda functionality isn't as nice as the Palm devices.

Offroadr,
We haven't done anything with Blue Tooth.... yet.   

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by XRpredator

Someone needs to.;):)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Anyone thinking of getting a PDA should look into something that has a hard cover that keeps the buttons from being inadvertantly pressed. I bought a cheap Handspring Visor about a year ago to store phone numbers, addresses, calendar, etc. I went to use it this morning and the battery was dead. I guess the buttons were being accidentally pushed while it was in my truck. I lost over a hundred business phone numbers, addresses, etc. I'm scrambling to e-mail people and get phone numbers again. Hey Pred, when you're done kicking your ass, can you kick mine a few times?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
LMAO Pred!:)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Pred,

The Palm is still the best for contacts, calendar and so on.  I've been using my Palm Pilot on the road for the past 4 years.  I just got the blackberry last week.  The e-mail on it is awesome!  And, the Go.Web access for our internal site is working out great in the field too.  As I stated earlier, we formated a website with out information to be PDA friendly.  Meaning, it's all text based and only 160 pixels wide. 

Surfing through non PDA friendly sites like DRN is a little painful.  It doesn't take too much to fill up the memory and not get to read the rest of a thread or see the rest on the content on one page.

Fortunately, many mainstreem sites like Yahoo, ESPN, and USAtoday have PDA versions.  So, you can read the news on your PDA while waiting for a plan without having to hook up the old laptop.

Twin, I had the same thoughts about the size of the PDA/phone.  So, the only thing geeky that I have to deal with is Blackberry and phone on the same belt.  I look like an IT nerd, and I'm a sales guy.  Oh well, the benefit of being conected in the field is great.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Timr
Twin, I had the same thoughts about the size of the PDA/phone.  So, the only thing geeky that I have to deal with is Blackberry and phone on the same belt.  I look like an IT nerd, and I'm a sales guy.  Oh well, the benefit of being conected in the field is great. 

Part of the reason we went with Treos was so that we wouldn't have to carry two devices.  The most annoying feature of the Treo is that it seems to be synch'ing when you need to use the phone.  I've got my synch parameters wittled down to just a few contacts and it's still a major annoyance.  The wireless synch of email/calendar/contacts/to-do is cool... just not when you need to use the phone.  Honestly, the cell phone design leaves a ton to be desired.  You just about kill yourself and others when you try to use it while driving.  The phone interface SUCKS!

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by TwinSpar

You just about kill yourself and others when you try to use it while driving.  The phone interface SUCKS!

Well, don't try to respond to e-mail and drive at the same time either!  :scream:   I almost planted my rental car in some trees this week.  I'm sure the people behind me thought I was drunk.  I can read e-mail OK, but if you have reply, you gotta pull over.

Top Bottom