blowing smoke please help

animal's

May 15, 2007
380 blowing lots of smoke help!

Hello I have a 1999 ktm mxc 380 and it is blowing lots of smoke enough that it is dripping out of the tail pipe. I have just rebuilt the top end with a sleeve,piston, etc.... I was told that it could be the crank shaft seals {sucking oil from the trans ? } any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first ktm. thanks Gregg

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
if it is the trans side crank seal your trans fluid level will drop. Fill it up, go ride, if it's dropping theres your problem.

sharky_101

Mar 14, 2007
does it smell like tranny oil (a plasticy smell) or 2-stroke oil smell? what colour is the smoke?

bdtoady22

May 18, 2007
bdtoady22

i ride a 94 yz 125 and the crank seal was bad in it. the easiest way to tell is watch your tranny oil level. in 2 hours of riding i would burn almost half of it. idling down a hill and turn and power up it would smoke like a freight train. i would say thats your problem

animal's

May 15, 2007
smokey

it blows a lot of smoke like you said "like a freight train" the oil that is leaking is black.also when I rev it, it doesnt have full power. thanks so much for the replys I am kinda new at this stuff. Gregg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've merged this thread and the one you posted in the KTM forum, Please do not post the same thread in multiple forums.

Red Ryder

Mar 14, 2007
I would say you for sure have some leaking seals. Seeing as it has a lack of power, lots of smoke and dripping black oil/spooge out the pipe.

animal's

May 15, 2007
sorry about multible posting didn't know exactly were to put it. anyway I think it is the seal in the trans because the level is low and I have only driven it around the yard two times. thanks for the info and I will post when I repace the seal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…