Terrible, Terrible mistake after top end job, HELP

Ok, I don't have to say I am a newbie, but I am. I rebuilt my top end last week. Piston, rings, power valves etc. All went well. Since then I have ran about 6 gallons of gas through the new top end. To my horror I discovered I have been mixing Yamalube 2 stroke oil (for outboards) instead of Yamalube for dirtbikes and four wheelers. It smoked a lot. I mean a lot. Today I drained everything and mixed MC1 into it. Cranked, ran fine, fouled 2 plugs and now I have about 90% less smoke and about 15% more power. My question, How much, if any damage, did I do, and what should I do now, if anything. Spanky250, hope you can help since we ride similar scoots, and you seem very knowledgeable. Mine is a 1992 KDX 200.

It won't make any difference. Outboard oil may not be the best choice but it certainly won't hurt anything.

when I bought my YZ the dealer gave me 4 bottles of that stuff too! I think they wanted to push cheap garbage on me,
my friends would not ride infront of them! when I warmed up my bike my driveway would have 600,252 dead misquitos on it!! then after a month I changed so don't worry!

Originally posted by motox
Spanky250, hope you can help since we ride similar scoots, and you seem very knowledgeable. Mine is a 1992 KDX 200.
As everybody before me told you, you will be fine. Not the perfect choice of oil, but it won't hurt anything, it's still for two-strokes. Our bikes are not very much alike, however. Your engine has more in common with a KX 125 than it does with mine, other than being a two-stroke.

smb_racing

Master of None
these bikes are nearly bulletproof. I've seen people put these bikes through it all with zero maintenance and somehow they still manage to run. I think my neighbor actually tried to blow his up for the 3 or 4 months he had it, he was unsuccessful as the bike still ran perfectly when he got rid of it.

So can I assume it would be OK for me to run dirtbike 2 stroke oil in my 2 stroke chainsaw?

wanrep

Sponsoring Member
For what it's worth:
I've been running 2-stroke dirt bike mix in my chain saw and weedeaters for 5 years. They run better and I haven't even had to change a spark plug yet.

Thanks for all the replys. It's good to know I didn't totally mess up after putting all that money and time into the top end. It still seems to be running rich and fouling plugs occasionally during warm-up. I'll use Eric Gorr's tuning tips to try and make it right.

Originally posted by Zenith
So can I assume it would be OK for me to run dirtbike 2 stroke oil in my 2 stroke chainsaw?
That's where my old pre-mix goes.:cool: It might be too old for my bike, but tools don't care.

My four-stroke pressure washer does not seem to mind C-12 or MR-2 mixed with motul oil.:scream: Sure smells mighty nice while I wash the bike. Reminds me of the track.:confused:

MikeT

Subscriber
Dude, unless you were running Mazola corn oil, you'll be OK.

(gross exageration Rich, you know what I mean) :)