Blown KTM Shock Questions and Comments

TreeKiller

Oct 25, 2001
About 8 weeks ago I purchased a '01 250 SX and after the second ride the rear shock blew. To make a long story short. My local dealer had issues obtaining a bladder kit for the shock so I sent it to Total Control (MX-Tech Affiliate). They replaced the seals and returned it to me ASAP. Well, It was still blown, but it turns out it wasn't the seals it was leaking were the shaft threads into the clevis. Chad Newton, at Total Control spoke with someone from KTM and was told this was a known and prevelent issue with certain KTM shocks and that they had warrantied quite a few of them. He advised me to contact my local dealer and see if KTM would warranty the shock. Which I did and got very little assistance from them (local dealer). I called Chad back and asked if he would try to talk to KTM for me. Which he is in the process of doing. I was curious if anyone else had seen this issue. If so, did KTM warranty the shock. I'm really dissapointed with the whole deal because I have a bike that I haven't ridden in nearly a month and a half and it looks like it may be at least that much longer before I can get it fixed. KTM is also very backordered on rear shocks right now. That also seems to be a big problem with any part here lately. I have to commend Chad on his assistance and efforts to help me. He's a great guy and very knowledgable and willing go the extra mile to help and explain things. So, if anyone has any experienced any of these type of problems, please give me some idea of what to expect.

Sure wish I'd have kept my 380!!!!!!!!! Lot's of power and a strong shock.

Thanks

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
TK,
I spoke with Chad about this the other day, and told him to go to KTM asnd see if they would warentee it. He was bummed that someone had had addtional problems. Unfortuntly its a werid deal, Hopefully KTM will be able to warntee the problem for you. If they don't there are optios like SXS shocks etc.. Its a bummer but it does happen and I guess thats about all you can say.

Br,
Jer

Heat

Jan 8, 2002
If the bike was a new leftover model you might have a shot at the warranty , if you bought it used????

If it was a used bike and the shock was ever serviced with the clevis in the vise instead of using shaft blocks it could have loosened the shaft in the clevis and caused the leak. There are people doing suspension work that don`t want to buy the right tools.

TreeKiller

Oct 25, 2001
Thanks Jeremy,
I really appreciate Chad's help and yours. I hope no one thinks I'm trying to complain or whine (well, maybe whine a little. I'm tired of riding everyone elses bike). I really just want to know how prevelent this problem is. The other things is parts availabilty has been really bad lately from KTM. I sure wish they'd come around on parts.

The bike was used (but real low hours, original tires are still in good shape) and the shock was serviced once by KTM.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I had a PDS do this in 99 and they wouldny warranty it-cost me £218 -needless to say it didnt make me want to buy a KTM again.Some have i beleive come loose due to bad workmanship but many have failed that have low hours and never been serviced.KTM changed the design of the 2002 PDS in this area as i beleive it was a poor design previously.

TreeKiller

Oct 25, 2001
Guess what, I almost 4 months and still no shock. KTM has had the parts on backorder ... Dealer Show ... It's all BS. When I get it back I think I'll magically turn it into a Honda.

NO more KTM for me.

Wakisashi

Mod Ban
Apr 29, 2002
I went back to jap also , a `96 that was a constant problem and a `98 that was reliable but hard to get parts for.

If they would get the parts supply fixed I would probably try another one. I am told by some riders the problem is fixed then talk to other riders that say they still can`t get parts.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
It is too bad KTM doesn't handle these things consistantly.

I'm not sure if it is a dealer thing or who you know / get at the company.

As for parts, yes KTM parts warehouse has gotten bigger with more parts but so has the inventory problems. I have always had good luck getting KTM parts. I have gone out of state a few times but dealers I found have been great. Jr has a RM85 and I called 4 dealers for a shifter on Monday...no one had it...i got a used one off an older RM at a local cycle salvage :(. So parts and problems can be very specific in different parts on the country.

Goodluck

Top Bottom