syko

Jan 10, 2004
I've noticed that for the few first seconds of going into third it goes boggy and i lose power.

I ride on the pipe and shift gear on the top end always.
as soon as i shift into third it bogs and slows, then when i loose of throttle (mid to bottom end throttle) it comes back into life and i'm back on the pipe again.

Would this suggest I am too lean on my main?
I also notice that when i start my bike from cold, if i leave the throttle on idle it starts up great then as soon as i rev it goes boggy and then clears up again when i let go of the throttle. i leave it on idle for 30 seconds and then rev it up and it's all cleared up through the whole range.

so i'm thinking that bottom end is jetted good but mid to top are too lean maybe???

any ideas.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
syko said:
as soon as i shift into third it bogs and slows, then when i loose of throttle (mid to bottom end throttle) it comes back into life and i'm back on the pipe again.

Would this suggest I am too lean on my main?

To me it would mean you are too rich on the main.

If this was happening on my bike, I would go a little leaner on the main jet. Maybe 2 or 3 sizes and see how it feels, then size back to where it still performs well if you can, (don't wanna run too lean of course) My bike tends to bog when it is rich. It will surge when too lean. The main jet affects the other circuits to some degree. You may or may not notice the change.

Good Luck !!!!!!

Chief

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Thanks chief.

My problem is i struggle to tell between the lean 'surge' and the rich 'bog'.
i find it very difficult to distinguish between the two.
the reason i thought lean was because the plug is a decent tan colour and i haven't had any kind of oil coming out the exhaust or heavy smoke.
generally it peforms well, it's just those first few seconds when i up into the higher gears.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
No problem syko.

I don't know what's going to work for ya' but I'm taking an edumacated guess.

Lean, the rpm's will go up, my bike does it at low throttle when the pilot is too lean. I've heard people say the bike will bog if it's too lean, but I figure that bog is due to no fuel at all, and it would still have to surge up before it bogged on empty.

My main makes a big difference all over, but it will make or break it in 3rd gear on big WFO long coal hills. It used to die if I let off for a second. When the main is leaned it will kick in on demand.

Top Bottom