joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Jump up and down and rant and rave!!:aj:
I came out of retirement last year, broke out my old AXO from the mid 80's. They had 3 years on them when I retired, still good shape, except the back dry roted, ( the plastic at the ankle bend). Hey, no big deal, I got a new par of MSR's. Lasted almost one season, the pegs ate the soles away, soooo I get a pair of O Neils Elements Last Nov. I got less than 500 miles on then and there toast!!!! The pegs ate them away! I don't mind getting a pair a season, (I guess if I had too), but come on, at least let them last a season.
With 3 people racing outta my house, bugget is kinda tight, but I can't stand breaking 3 pair of boots a season!
What brand/kind seem to wear at the mid sole the best??
Any boots have replaceable mid soles??
I soooo mad, race season in Dristrict 6, (Pa.) is just starting, and I without a good broken in boot. :whiner:
Help me out guys!
Thanks
Joe
2001 KDX 200
2-2001 TTR 125 Boy "A"'s and "B"'s

If it weren't for the aches and pains on Monday, I wouldn't know I was alive:o

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Alpinestars have a replaceable mid sole on their higher end boots (tech series). The problem isn't so much the boots nowadays as it is the razor sharp footpegs :eek:

You could always go with the good ole metal plated Hi-points :)

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Lay out some high end cash

I wouldn't mind doing that if I was sure next year or the following I'd get the soles. my luck is that I couldn't get the replacement parts.
Hey, thanks, I take a serious look at them.
When I raced MX, I did the Bob Hanna thing on my pegs, they'd cut you they'd be sooo sharp. When I put my foot on the pegs, that's where it stayed. With my KDX I haven't done anything. I think it's the rubber soles.
I'm thinking about filling it in with Epoxy and putting metal over it!!!!!
Thanks
Joe:moon:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
last year when I sold my KDX I had bent one footpeg forward and the other backwards :confused:

they weren't as sharp as the ones on my GasGas are though, the these are much wider also.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I've had my tech 6's since 99 and they are lookin like they need replacement soon, a new set of tech 8's are in the future.

Being born in 74' I don't know much about boots from the 80's but maybe todays boots are made with a softer sole for better grip, the bikes are a little faster and jump a little higher these days?

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I wonder what a letter would do??

I thinking serious about sending a letter to O Niel. Yeah, I know they were only $100 boots, but come on, they should have lasted longer than 3 months riding time!!
Joe:debil:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
What kind of MSR's did you have? I have the MSR System X boots (made by Alpinestar) and the soles are wearing, but very slowly; nothin like you describe. You can replace the soles on the MSR System X with any Alpinestar sole I belive.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
How about...

... boots that keep your feet dry?

My last three alpinstar sets (different models) didn't.

M6's are available with a sole that has some traction to it. Slip soles may be great for tracks..having some 'stick' is nice in the woods!

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
my opinion...

I am also looking for the "Red Wing" of boots, I will spend 300 plus for a pair of boots that I can use for at least 2 or so years. I know that they get a lot of use but this is an area where I need some help deciding on. Currently I am using MSR boots, they aint that good cuz I twisted my ankle with them, making it a 6 week finally I feel normal again type scenario. Can anyone tellme what the deal is with boots. Again, this I am back in the saddle about this riding thing, and learning. Any advice is appreciated.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by kevinkdx
i need tough boots in size 14!!and i'm not lying. anyone have any ideas for good quality boots for my feet?:think
the local shop here has a pair of Vector's in size 14, and I believe a pair of tech 8's in 14. Don't know why they ordered such huge sizes though, they've been down there for about a year now.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by kevinkdx
i need tough boots in size 14!!and i'm not lying. anyone have any ideas for good quality boots for my feet?:think

Maybe you need some wide pegs to spread the weight of those suckers a little more evenly? I've got size 12's and couldn't ride the stock pegs very comfortably, never check boot wear vs. peg size but it almost makes since?

Rusty

Jan 23, 2001
I have had a pair of AXO RC4 boots for 3 years and countless miles of riding time on them. The soles are chewed up a little bit, but nowhere near replacement time. In fact I think the leather stitching is going to give out before the soles. My feet have never been totally soaked in them, yet ! I was thinking about getting some new Alpinestars, but the RC4's are just too comfortable to get rid of. I will definately buy them again.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Possible Fix??

I ordered a set of insoles from Dennis Kirk yesterday. my plan is simple:
I'm gonna either route or cut the depth of the inserts out of my boots and install the replaceable inserts. I think I can put a flat head screw from the inside out tohold them in place. I've got 2 pair of trashed boots to try to make one out of them.
You would think boot manufactors test these boots out for longetivity before they ship them out or did they?????
Stay tuned to as the upset biker preforms demented surgery to his boots on "As the Mud Flys"
Joe:aj:

Top Bottom