Brake Pad cross reference for KTM's??

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Hi guys, I'm curious, do any of the standard Japanese model brake pads cross reference and fit on the new KTM's? I have an '01 300 MXC and I need to replace the front pads before riding this weekend. It's going to be tough for me to get to a KTM dealer in the next couple of days, but I'm very close to Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha shops. I seem to remember reading or hearing that CR250 Honda brake pads will work on the newer KTM's. Is that true? Thanks in advance for any info.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
If I'm not mistaken, 98up Honda CR250. Might want to confirm though.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Yarbonwick is correct. I've used late model OEM CR250 rear pads many times in all my 98 and up KTM's. Work awesome, too. They are a bit smaller but they do work. The one caveat is that if you use the Scott's Billet Sharkfin, which replaces the stock KTM caliper carrier, the Honda pads won't work.

I've also read, but never tried, that the same OEM CR250 models front pads will work on the front of the KTM's.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Thanks for reminding me Jeb. Bob most of the time anyone had this question it was for the rears. For the fronts though, I would make sure. Sorry I didn't "key on" that you wanted fronts.

Guaryzzzpode

Feb 25, 2000
The late model CR 250 pads work front and back. In fact, the fronts are more of a match than the back ones.

As the back pads are smaller on the CR, this change makes for a much smoother brake, with more feel, and not so much locking, which really was a problem from 98 to 2000.

On the same topic, I bought a Uni air filter and in the back it said it fits KTMs, CRs, etc etc. I had a hard time finding one for KTM, but now it seems CR filters fit. Is this true?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
slick nothing to argue about. He IS, and everyone has to accept it or be labeled a dillweed ;)

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Thanks for the help and info, guys. I did go to the local Honda shop and got a set of CR250 front brake pads. The shop didn't have OEM Honda pads, all they stocked were EBC. The pads did fit, although I had to modify them to make them work. They didn't just slide right in out of the package. I had to modify the pin holes to make them work, so keep that in mind if anyone is going to try the Honda pads in the front. But, once I modified the pin holes slightly, the pads worked and after riding on Saturday, they seem to work well, at least as well if not better than the stock KTM pads and with no squealing.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You had to bore them? What did you bore them to?
(I've got brand new EBC, CR250's front/back for my KTM)

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I don't have any specific dimensions, but I did have to bore the pin holes slightly with a drill. I couldn't get them to fit without that modification. It was close, but no go, so I hogged out the holes with a slightly larger drill bit.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Kewl, Bob....thanks for the heads up.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I wonder if it's the same with OEM pads. Thanks for "taking one for the team";)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
As I look at the holes in these, they are obviously not true. Someone needs to work on their dies. :)

Top Bottom