ADivotMaker

Mar 3, 2004
After my first MX race, I quickly learned that cornering is where I need to spend more time practicing. I just ordered the Gary Semics cornering DVD, but it won't be here for a week or so. My question is on how much the front brake should be used when cornering. I've never used it in corners, in fact I hardly use it all when riding in general, mainly because I have no clue on the proper use. So, if anyone can share some of the best ways to use the front brakes in cornering, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Gary Semics will tell you all about it, I'm no expert but the only time I use the front brake in a corner is just lightly to help keep the front wheel in a rut, and it has the effect of stopping the wheel from climbing out of the rut or too far up a berm. You will need to learn how to use the throttle and front brake at same time, which is actually a lot asier than it sounds. As for other use, as you get faster you'll pretty soon find out that the front brake is the quickest way to slow down in most situations.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
How much front brake you use is determined by your speed and type of corner. Some corners you can go real deep into the corner and brake hard while others tend to use very lil front brake and you go on momentum. I personally use the front brake hard with light pressure on rear to keep bike stabilized on tighter corners. For sweeping corners the front brake is just feathered to keep control of the bike. I haven't mastered the use of the front brake in ruts so I can't help ya there. But always be smooth and apply gradual pressure. Quick hard stabs of the front brake will put you down hard.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Since you never use your front brake you should practice stopping in a straight line with both brakes. Make a marker like Semics states so you can monitor your progress.
Some people slow too much for the corner and waste time.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I use the front brake all the way to the apex in almost every corner. The better the traction, the harder you can apply it. I've noticed that it helps the most in downhill sweepers. A great way to learn the habit is on a mountain bike. I switched the brake cables on my MTB so that the right hand controls the front brake like a motorcycle. About one finger's worth of pressure is all you need to feel the effect on both a motocrosser and an MTB.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
i took a riding class last summer with dave wood, a fairly decent rider from norcal, and we worked on this technique. basically, the front brake helps weight the front tire, increasing traction. it also compresses the fork, thus shortening the wheelbase and changing the front-end geometry for quicker turnin. as you get to the apex, you should be looking where you want to go, and easing off the brake and rolling on the throttle at the same time. it's amazing how well the front wheel will stick in a corner when you start to get comfortable with this technique.

if you squeeze the brake too hard, you will know. you pretty much only have until the fork starts rebounding to get your initial turning done, so i apply more pressure gradually, so the weight on the front tire keeps increasing, if that makes sense.

after a few weeks of practice with this technique, i suddenly found myself going MUCH faster, and i was no longer washing the front wheel unexpectedly. i still do a figure-8 drill sometimes. just grab a few rocks or logs or something and put them 30' apart or so, and practice doing figure eights around them, and trying to make it as smooth and fast as possible.
mw

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom