cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
ok so what brake do you guys use most often front or rear? I know if I slam on the rear when Im riding than it skids for a long time. what if I was to do it with the front? is there any danger in flipping over the handle bars or something? whats the right way to use the front brake? should I use both or 1 more than the other? Whats the right way to be using both front and rear brakes?

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Different strokes for different folks, I use my fronts alot especialy entering a corner, front and back together if I need to stop quickly. Your not going to flip over the bars unless you grab a handfull of front brake. Going in a corner you want to brake just enough to make the bike slow a bit and maximize the bite of the front tire, braking to much will wash the front out.

Jul 4, 2006
Here's another training lesson I've observed. In order to get the kids to take that inside deep rut instead of the easy way running the rim on the outside. The instructor has the kid charge the corner usually one that has a single jump just before the corner. Most of the time the rider will jump into the corner taking himself to the outside line.

But to setup for the inside line the instructor has the riders cross over the jump on the inside "still charging" then at the peak of the jump pull the front brake and do a somewhat stoppie on the downside of the jump. He has them do this several times getting the feel of the hard front braking. Then has them follow through doing the stoppie into the beginning of the rut then coming off the front brake some and rolling on the throttle. Once coming off the peak of the jump they sit while doing the stoppie and squeeze with the knees then eventually the left or right leg comes out on entry while still squeezing or then "pushing" the bike over into the rut.

Watch a Supercross race and see when a rider dives to the inside line, a lot of times the rear wheel comes off the ground.

Additionally learn your 3 basic riding positions Attack, then Braking, then Turning. Setup some tires about 30 yards apart and then do 20 laps one direction and then 20 the opposite. Once you become a machine at this then go ahead and proceed to the track.

If you don't follow the same procedure on the track (have someone watch you) or film it for later argument. Then you need to work this repetitive practice until you do because that is the foundation to sound riding.

If your skidding that rear wheel 50' on the rear brake when you can cut that distance in half with both brakes. Guess what you can do with that 25' you just gained........be on the gas!!

cawkazn

Uhhh...
Jan 22, 2007
Yeah I was thinking of practicing some cornering. Its alot easier for me to go through a left turn fast than it is a right.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Do A Search...

cawkazn said:
Yeah I was thinking of practicing some cornering. Its alot easier for me to go through a left turn fast than it is a right.

...Just like Big Lou suggested. This subject has been covered in depth before in previous threads. (Use the search function) All you have to do to benifit from the info is have the ability to read!

Happy trails! :)

Jul 4, 2006
"In Depth"??? Only saw a couple responses worth while reading.

"Stomping" the brake???

Pull in the clutch????

That gets you an additional 25 laps around the tires here.

I'd say for anyone willing to try and better themself at riding try and save a couple hundred bucks and seek out a professional instructor. Those first few hours spent with them will build a great foundation to work from. Looks like seeking advice from a message board could confuse you more than anything.

Evins

Jun 7, 2006
The front brake should provide 80% of the braking power and 20% should be the back. A good way to practice this is to take the rear brake lever off. It will make your lap time slower for the first hour or so but it will make your lap time faster in the long run.

Top Bottom