crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I have a whole bunch of oil leaking out of this hose coming from the engine. I thought it was the air filter oil leaking but after I took the bike apart to start cleaning it I noticed this hose and oil all around it dripping down the side of the airbox. Its all over my shock, linkage, swingarm, airbox, elctrical wires, and everything else around that area. I was just wondering is this normal and wanted to know if thia was a breather hose for the engine or what. I was thinking about getting another hose and hooking it to the original and run down so it can drain off with the rest of the hoses. I've attached a few pics so you can see which one i'm talking about.
If the pictures don't show up below then further down there are links to the pics of the air hoses. I'm not sure if this browser supports these tabs or not.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
The hose you are describing sounds like the transmission breather hose. Oil will leak out of it if the bike is in a position that the tranny is above the end of the hose. i.e, upside down. I would change your oil to make sure you have the propor amount of oil and you didnt loose too much.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
fatty_k was right. I would assume that maybe you have too much oil in the case and when you fell over or something, the oil started to come out and drip on everything you mentioned. Or maybe you have the right amount of oil in the case but the bike just fell over and started to spill oil. So drain the oil and put in new oil with the correct amount.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
crash,yup too much oil or if the bike was laid dn will cause that.otherwise a failure of sorts would have to occur to create pressure to PUSH the oil out .u know like how the engine compression can push coolant out of an engine .if that's possible here?

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
Thanks, I re-directed the hose so if it does leak any more tranny oil it will leak onto the chain whil i'm riding, if anyone is interested there are pics at the Msn KDX Riders Community. Lets see if I can get it right this time. Heres the URL KDX Riders Community

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i wondered bout the pics ,no message w them .i went here and saw.i'm curious ,let me know what caused it .does anyone know if a seal or gasket failure can cause this, please post ? btw did u over fill or dump it?good luck i hope it's nothin dude.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
c.b.36 - You didn't answer their questions about too much oil or being rubber side up. I suppose leaking seals could put pressure inside the trans. & force oil out, not sure though. cnyncrvr would know. Where is he? Although it doesn't solve the problem at hand, I love the idea of routing the oil onto the chain!! ;)

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
If you would like to know how I did it just let me know and I give you instructions, although its not hard at all. It took me a few tries to get it where it would stay right above the chain. No the bike wasn't wreckedthat time anyways. I did however put a full quart of tranny oil in there because thats what a lot of people on this site do, but I changed the oil with Belray gear oil (boy does belray make a difference, shifting has never been easier) and i changed the oil level to the reccomended dosage of .7 liters. It hasn't dripped yet that I can see but if it does it will lube my chain.

Before anyone brings this up, I realize the breather hose was placed high for a reason, so water won't get into it and go up in to the tranny. So if you ride in any type of water i wouldn't recommend it, unless you keep a close eye on the window to make sure the oil isn't turning milky. Myself, I hate water and mud, it just screws to many things up.

Top Bottom