Broken KIPS main shaft gear, left hand side

psdzorb

Dec 3, 2005
I am doing the top end of my 02 KDX 220 for the first time. While removing the nut on the KIPS main shaft I broke a tooth of the left hand side gear. It took some force to remove the nut and I was worried about doing damage but how else could I get the nut loose?

Question one: Is there a trick to removing the nut without damaging the parts?

Question two: More importantly, how can I tighten the nut during re-assembly without doing damage?

Thanks

PS the gear cost me $53, ouch!

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Been there, done that, but chipped a tooth on the mainshaft as well. Now I remove it before the main shaft/ main valve assembly comes apart. This seems to keep the gear from rotating past the point of tooth termination. No more problems so far.

psdzorb

Dec 3, 2005
Not reverse threaded

Thanks for the replies but the threads on the main shaft are not reverse threaded. I believe you are thinking of the 'drive shaft'. The 'main shaft' is the one that goes thru the barrel and is driven by the 'drive shaft'.

I think the nut may have been over tightened at the factory because it took a good amount of force to break loose. When it broke loose is when the damage appears to have occured.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
psdzorb said:
Thanks for the replies but the threads on the main shaft are not reverse threaded. I believe you are thinking of the 'drive shaft'. The 'main shaft' is the one that goes thru the barrel and is driven by the 'drive shaft'.

I think the nut may have been over tightened at the factory because it took a good amount of force to break loose. When it broke loose is when the damage appears to have occured.

When I chipped mine the first time I removed it, I could have sworn the nut was tack welded on. Just remember to not loose the small steel ball
that sits on the spring under your new gear.

Top Bottom