MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
A friend of mine was tightening the pressure plate bolts in his clutch(the ones with the springs behind them) and one snapped off, there is no thread sticking out and he doesnt know what to do. Would an easy out work on something this small, because it would be pretty hard to drill a straight holl that small. Thanks alot guys

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by MRKRacing125
AIR TOOL

:silly: :silly: :silly:

You might be able to use a small pin punch or scribe to walk the bolt out. But if you jammed it in with the air tool you will probably need an EZ-Out, or work case a new basket.

Next time leave the air tools to the truck mechanics.

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sometimes a real small wood chisel on an angle will grab the bolt to turn it around.

next
OK so you can take the whole hub out though? Next up you could try hack sawing a cut into it to use a flat blade screwdriver to turn it out. This will put a cut in the ally too but if you are careful will not mess it up.

With the hub out though you could give it to a competent engineer who can hold & precision drill it.

Hey air tools are great! But only in the other direction.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Next time leave the air tools to the truck mechanics.

hey I resemble that remark nyuk nyuk nyuk

give the basket to a guy witha drill press and knows how to use it ,and a left handed drill bit. I personally hate trying to drill a bolt out of aluminum. If you are not dead on straight that bit will walk right out of the steel bolt and into the soft metal and then usually in my case snapping the drillbit when it gets wedged in between the two different metals. After you tried the other ideas ; making a screwdriver slot, using a small punch or dull chisel and a small hammer and seeing if you can catch a small edge of the bolt where it snapped and try and tap it around and around until you get the bolt out far enough for pliers.

Einstein

May 27, 2002
I did the same stupid thing on my old kx :| Some how the bolt wasn't jammed and actually was loose. I took a small pick and was able to work it out. DO NOT drill the bolt out with the basket on the bike!! You're sure to drill everything but the bolt. Good luck

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
I dont need a new basket. All I need is the new Clutch Boss. The basket is what holds the boss inplace with the big nut with washer. The boss is what accepts the outer pressure plate to make them tight. I just ordered a new clutch boss... $23 bucks

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Check the yellow pages for machine shops. Some places specialize in removing broken bolts and taps. They use special machines that remove the beroken bolt without damaging the parts.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom