XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
He's one of THE guys. I won't yet say he's THE GUY, because one race does not make one so, nor does two. A title, or at least a majority of a series, will make that so.

My only question is, who's the next "Next Guy"? :think:

By the way, these are "THE guys" (and Travis Preston, LOL):
0sx12rx1.jpg

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
My vote for the next next guy, ........ Davi Millsaps, gotta learn to start and hope they put more whoop sections in :) Seriously he looks like a winner to me, looking forward to seeing the east/west shootout in Vegas. His only problem is he isnt all that much younger than Bubba, which means the podium is gonna be crowded when he gets up to the 250's

Last edited:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I don't think you all are looking far enough into the future! Broc and Davi aren't much younger than Bubba...and you know he's going to be around a while! It's a bad time to be entering the pro ranks right now!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Though Bubba is still young, he has moved up to the 250's.

Any rider who takes charge of the 125 class over the next two years will be touted as 'the next big thing' and a future challenger to Bubba on the big bikes.

Besides the leading candidates Milsaps & Hepler, other young guys with potential for future 250cc titles include Alessi and maybe Andrew Short & Josh Grant (still learning and very fast). And Grant Langston's only 22 and has world and USA championships - he's got new life.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
It's a done deal, Bubba is THE guy. He won Dallas with such authority that I don't know how anyone could question that he is the most dominant rider in motocross. Some say that RC was riding conservatively at Dallas to protect his title, but it didn't look that way. If he was holding back, then Windham would have passed him. The way RC and CR were battling and crashing, it looked like both of them were pushing as hard as ever. As for the outdoor series, it will be the same story.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Shig said:
It's a done deal, Bubba is THE guy. He won Dallas with such authority that I don't know how anyone could question that he is the most dominant rider in motocross.
One race does not make THE man. John Dowd pulled off a similar win at Charlotte a few years back. Did that make him THE man? Reed walked away at Daytona this year. LaRocco lead Indy wire to wire last year. Ramsey beat RC a couple years back.

one race does not make THE man

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't think Bubba won with "authority" he did win but Reed was closing the gap he let get created when he hit a tough block. Reed then went down in the last laps and could make the gap up. RC just didn't look comfortable on the Dallas track in neither the practice sessions or the race. I would hand over the crown just yet, maybe next year though.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
You know, we could hand Bubba the championships right now, I guess, but I think I have a better idea. LET"S RUN THE RACES FIRST.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
XRpred, you could speak of those other men that won a race or two, but they did not own the 125 class, then come into the 250 class and in his second or third race, beat the pros who have been winning in the class for years.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
No denying his speed right now, but THE MAN is measured in 250 championships(, (or 500 back in the day) the premier class, not the 125's. I think JBS will probably be THE MAN in the future but not yet, look into Ron Lechien, Danny Chandler, etc. Many were LOTS faster than their contemporaries but never won major championships I don't think JBS is gonna fade into that catagory but we don't know yet.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
BEEF706 said:
No denying his speed right now, but THE MAN is measured in 250 championships(, (or 500 back in the day) the premier class, not the 125's. I think JBS will probably be THE MAN in the future but not yet, look into Ron Lechien, Danny Chandler, etc. Many were LOTS faster than their contemporaries but never won major championships I don't think JBS is gonna fade into that catagory but we don't know yet.

Exactly. A month ago, everyone was in awe of how fast, unbeatable and consistent RC was... now, he's just some guy on the podium next to Stewart and Reed.
Stewart is fast, there's no denying it. If he keeps a good head on his shoulders and stays healthy, there's some championship trophies waiting for him. Then he'll be the man. :boss:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Let's define "The Man"
2 versions IMHO;

1) The Man, Historical version. The Man with the most championships.
2) The Man, Current version. The fastest currently out there. The one that raises the bar/takes it to the next level.

You could even go 4, The man with the most indoor titles and the Man with the most outdoor titles.

IMHO, The Man #1 above should be renamed, the King, once there is a new current The Man. :p

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
As the Kendall example show, it all depends on context!

The Man = Roger DeCoster. No parenthesis or asterisks required. Was, is and will always be The Man.

The King = Jeremy McGrath. Was, is and will always be the the King. Even if by some miracle someone wins ten titles in 250 SX (ain't gonna happen).

The Man (Contemporary Version) = RC. You can't be called by Roger's name unless you have MX titles. Lots of 'em.

The King (Contemporary Version) = RC. Will win his fourth SX title this year and has never lost a title to Chad. Chad and Bubba can't be king until they have beat RC for a championship.

Crown Prince & Heir Apparent = Bubba

Fastest Human Alive = Bubba (or whoever won that week's round of SX or AMA nationals).

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
BEEF706 said:

I'm with Beef on this one. Until he starts hanging some 250 #1 plates on his mantle he is just another fast guy. An extremely fast guy but RC is almost surely to take the #1 plate and that makes HIM the man until that changes. He could become the man outdoors this year, that remains to be seen. Hope RC CR and KW step it up and make the best outdoor season in history

Last edited:

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Maybe I didn't see the same Dallas SX that others did. The race I saw had Stewart a second or two ahead before the Bubba Scrub was even a factor. Maybe I should adjust my TV reception because my set showed him something like 15 seconds ahead of RC and CR with just a few laps remaining in the race. Stewart rode flawlessly while RC and CR were falling. He was connecting a section that, according to the announcers, nobody else was. Granted, one race does not make him a champion. However, there is more than enough evidence from prior races, lap times, 125 class victories, etc. for me to see the writing on the wall. I mean, seriously, the kid breaks his arm in the second race, then returns to the top of the heap in the same season?! Championship or not, he's the most talented rider in the world right now. If you had to bet your life on the next SX, who would you choose?

Top Bottom