Bubba rumors from anaheim 2? (spoiler?)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Did anyone hear the rumor about James being in conflict with Monster energy over his contract?

Allegedly James and his dad where in Monsters offices this week trying to sort out their contract...James wanted 1.4 million for the season or he was going to walk from supercross and let Chad, who is no longer on unbound who is owned by monster, win...totally pissing off monster so they don’t have a sponsorship on the champion of the “Monster Energy Supercross”, In theory a nice bargaining chip, Monster told James 1.2 million or forget it...

James and His dad reportedly told the VP of Marketing at Monster to go F$%k himself. He told them where to stick it and no we get to A2...

He showed up late for the show, didnt do the press conference on Thursday, didn’t do more than two laps in each practice, and he developed a "knee injury" that took him out of the Supercross season...

Is this what racing has become?

He took a Bentley from redbull as a signing bonus last year and still walked on his contract and didn’t give the car back and now this with monster over 200K...

I don’t get it at all.

This of course is totally unconfirmed and only Monsters side of the story and was straight from the mouth of a unnamed monster execuitive in the Monster suite after a few beers... but I will call Aldon this week and see what the Stewart camp has to say. Maybe its all just all coincidence...

Monster was also pissed off about Stewart drinking a combination of Monavie, Water and Cytomax on the podium, He reportedly told them, "Im not going to pretend I drink that crap on the podium when I don’t"
- Anonymous

I don't believe this, but I'm kind of confused regarding his injury and why he didn't talk about it before A2.
Interview with James:
http://www.racerxfilms.com/20080120_StewartInjury/20080120_StewartInjury.html

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
this was interesting enough that it deserves a thread of its own.

could it possibly be just about the money?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I sure hope it turns out false (and I am not a great Bubba fan although I enjoy watching him ride) both for his integrity and the sport itself. If it turns out true I hope nobody would sign him to any type of contract and let him either play the privateer game or go to Nascar

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
One thing I would say is this, if it is true, then at least the guys in that league are getting some ok money for what they do, and if they have to sit out, or make a statement thats business, and he is a racer, but he also has to take care of business.
However, I don't think he today has the same impact on SX racing as a RC, MC, or a TP for that matter. Meaning this. People made a big effort to come see RC for his last races, and they flocked to the stadiums to see him race the SX's. James doesn't have that fan base, or doesn't have it "yet"........IF! this is or has any merit, then the 200k isn't worth what he is losing in future deals to come. there isn't that many energy drinks out there to mess with.
But I read some place else this likely isn't true, since wouldn't he have an agent to set this up? I mean I can't imagine he just called up "deal or no deal" and said hey I want' to be on tv, some one set that up for him??

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Please do not turn this into a lynch Bubba thread just yet. Until someone real steps up and confirms it he deserves the benefit of doubt that it is just a rumor. Wardy pointed out a fact that I missed- Why would he not have an agent doing all the negotiations. Also I doubt any of those guys are sucking in energy drinks from those bottles on the podium. With the level of fitness and nutrition they adhere to the drinks just do not belong there at that point in their system recovery from the race. They are paid to show the bottles not drink the juice

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I can't believe that ya'll believe this even for a second.... This guy(and all the pro level riders) LIVE for the oppertunity to win the SX championship. To think that he would ditch the whole season over some outside sponsor is simply comical. I'm pulling out the BS flag on this one. Its obsurd. lol

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
trial_07 said:
I'm kind of confused regarding his injury and why he didn't talk about it before A2.
I'm not sure when his contract negotiations were, but I'm sure an injured JS doesn't pull in the same money as a heathly JS. I doubt that this 'rumor' is true tho.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
JS rode all of the first practice and at least half of the second, ama wired results back it up. Fact is he had to miss the us open, knee. I have not seen him riding like he did before the knee, now this? His dad has the pr for the rumor to fly and that is about it.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
My "conspiracy theory" to explain this is that this is somebody's idea of a Martin Luther King Day joke. (Note the timing.)

I heard some bad jokes yesterday relating to dark skinned people of african heritage. This is a pretty bad one.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I also read this was probably written by someone representing the company Monavie. Being a fan of Bubba, I truly hope all of this is false.

The way he was talking about his injury in the interview, I would be surprised to see him before the outdoors.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Hell this is just another promotional stunt, here is what is going on. he is giving Chad a little points lead. then like a super hero he will come back and win it at the end.

Making it the "greatest come back of all time"

just a "therory."

LOL

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Personally I think that during the off season Reed pulled a Tonya Harding on Bubba and cained him in the knee before the season started.......

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
They had an interview with stewart on the speed channel and he said he was having bike trouble and cased a triple and messed his knee up and might not race in the supercross season. I really dont believe the money rumor.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
flynbryan said:
Personally I think that during the off season Reed pulled a Tonya Harding on Bubba and cained him in the knee before the season started.......
Tyler Evans playing the fat guy's(R.I.P.,) role; Larry Brooks playing the 'boyfriend's' part? ;) :joke: :uh:

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Personally, I have a very hard time believing Bubba Jr and Bubba Sr. would pull the plug on the entire SX season over a small percentage increase in total income (is 200K even 5-6% of his total yearly income? I mean it is not even 15% of the contract eluded to...).

I agree w/ FlyinBrian in that these guys live for the chance to win a championship. Anyone remember the SX-only rumors for JBS a year or two ago?? And now the rumor is he won't race the SX series over a 200 grand discrepancy from a sponsor who is likely behind Kawasaki and Fox in actual dollars as well as obligation? It just doesn't add up.

It does seem something strange is happening w/ Monster and JBS due to the fact that he hit the podium in PHX w/o a can of Monster in his hand. It doesn't seem like it could be an over-sight... but, if something is askew in Monster/JBS land, I can't believe it is over the amount and time stated... and I can't believe he'd cash out the whole season over that.

My $.02

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hellbertos said:
I agree w/ FlyinBrian in that these guys live for the chance to win a championship.
If that was the case, they'd do it for $50k, a couple bikes, and a pickup.

They are in it for the jingle, and I don't blame them one bit. If you got the skills, get all the money you can out of 'em.

I find that it's not easy to figure out how people think. Maybe James believes the "fastest man alive" talk and has nothing really left to prove, so he is gonna hold out for the cash. Or maybe his dad is the big push and wants to secure his future as well as his boy's.

Or maybe James really hurt his knee.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
True money is a driving factor but I do think there is a competitive drive at the top levels of any sport which separates the champions from the contenders or mid pack guys.

Still, you could be right that all the talk has gone to his head and he feels he might as well push for every last cent. However, that being the case, how much would he be leaving on the table in the form of contingency money and championship bonuses by sitting out the season?? Seems like that figure would easily be 200K.

You are right though that is is hard to understand how people think. There really is no telling...

Besides, maybe he just hurt his knee...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I certainly hope the rumors are not true. The whole thing is very weird, though.

JBS was very specific that his injury happened December 20th, after he had recovered from the injury that sidelined him last year. Seems strange that he was so specific about Dec. 20th. I've just never heard a rider discussing a month old injury and being so specific about the date. Struck me funny, like when he got injured may influence contractual payments. It's big business, after all.

Were there any reports that he was seen limping around at A1 and PHX? How about reports that he was seen or not seen practicing after Dec. 20th? Seems like Kawasaki would know if he was or was not practicing, or if he seen a doctor. They could back JBS up on this stuff at anytime and snuff out these rumors (if they have not already).

Without seeing a Doctor after the A2 incident, Bubba can say the injury might keep him out all SX season? Why not wait until he has had medical attention to speculate on that?

As for him bailing out over 'only' $200,000 dispute, maybe he gets the $1.2 million whether he races the rest of the SX season or not. Maybe he wanted a raise if he was going to bust his tail all year, and he had tons of bargaining power right before the highly anticipated A2 round.

Also, maybe he's got another energy drink lined up that will pay him way more than Monster. So his new potential sponsor tells him Monster is giving him the shaft with that insult of an offer (who knows if it was $1.2 million). So he plays hardball when Monster does not re-negotiate, knowing someone else is lined up.

Bottom line is no one can know, but it is a shame that he is not out there on the line! I really wanted to see him and Reed battle it out this year. I was shocked when I heard JBS was out, especially when it was a month old injury!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
One thing for sure is that Monster will probably have a hard time keeping Bubba and Villopoto, both very talented riders. And yes, James did not have a Monster can on the podium at Phoenix. I hope we have some more info before the next race.

Just for fun:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WAzbN-3x0EQ

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Why is it a shame? Everyone loved RC dominating, but weren't/aren't into another several year domination... James being out brings excitement back if nothing else. So everyone wants a competitive SX class. You got it.

Or maybe James really hurt his knee.
Oh no, that's just too simple. :whoa:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
He's hurt, he has to be...

A lousy 200K from Monster wouldn't make him walk out. He wins 1 million from Kawi if he wins the championship and he can't win by not racing.

I like watching him but the kid does dump crap that gets him hurt when he can turn it down a bit and still win and not get hurt.

I hope he heals up and makes some money while he can. Once he gets old and bent he doesn't strike me as the type that can make his money last, Tyson comes to mind.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Or maybe, with Reed being under 2 sec. behind him at Phoenix, it scared him into making up any excuse to bail on a season where he knew he was going to lose the championship, to salvage the 'Fastest Man Alive' moniker. :whoa:
Reed was going to put a whoopin on him at A2! :nod:

Top Bottom