BUSTED! this ones for you cops out there

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I think the title of this thread says it all, "Busted". Here is my take on this whole scenario. Kids get together after school, say hey, lets go check out those old cars behind the school grounds (maybe smoke a fag or two !), so they hang about there, probably a cool place to hang out, when one of them decides to take a few emblems, obviously one of the guys hesitates and says, no, maybe not. The others say hey, this is just junk, we are not stealing anything. So like most 'naughty' kids, they have some fun, cheap thrill and all, and help themselves. Now even though they have convinced themselves that they are only taking some junk, one of them has conscience enough to let an adult know, which is where this whole thing ends up. What are the chances that this area is out of bounds, and taking the emblems was not the only thing that got these boys into trouble.

Hey, as a kid, I would have probably done the same, maybe worse. Some very serious points have been raised, a trigger happy 'owner' could have made the situation turn out far worse, no one had permission to be there, and there definitely was doubt in some of there minds as to the legality of the situation.

I don't think any harm was done, but in a case like this, it is best to make sure first, get permission to be there. My bet is, no permission would have been granted eh ! (Ah, what the heck, exploring, breaking the rules, doing things without permission, smoking a fag or two behind the school - all the good things which made up my youth, ''tis horrible being an old mature adult !)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by BunduBasher
... maybe smoke a fag or two !
:eek:
Always thought you South African's were a little queer. :scream:

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
I constantly hear teachers bitching that they are overworked yet they go out of their way to nail some kids for removing emblems off of an abandoned car!

You teachers need to get a life! Most of the new teachers I see now are the ones we used to beat up for their lunch money in school and now they are trying to get even with the only people they can prey on, KIDS!!

You teachers have the best OVERPAID, PART-TIME job in the world (you only work HALF the year) so buy a bike and get out riding!!!!!:moon:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Trigger1911
You teachers have the best OVERPAID, PART-TIME job in the world (you only work HALF the year) so buy a bike and get out riding!!!!!:moon:
Trigger - I guess I'll need to pull your head out next time we go riding. :eek:

Mrs. Woods has been a teacher (educator) for eleven years. She's taught in Texas, Illinois and New York. I, for one, can testify that it's not a part-time job. In reality they only have a total of two months vacation spaced throughout the year. Trust me, she deserves every second of that time. As far as being overpaid, have you actually seen the take home pay a teacher receives? It's a joke! The only way to make any money is to get into administration.

By far my biggest complaint is the parents who consider school to be a babysitting service. They drop-off little Johnny/Suzy and expect the teachers to do it all, then complain when the teachers try to teach things like responsibility.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I knew you'd reply to this one Woods, I remember a thread a while back about schools. I'm with you on this one, school to most lazy parents is free babysitting. I guess this thread may turn a different route, not like that's every happened before! How many parents, DRN excluded cause I know how we are here, take the time at night to sit with their child and spend the time getting involved with what they are doing at school. I don't care what age they are, get involved, don't bitch about how bad the school is. I for one think that a teacher is extremely underpaid for the responsibility they have. There, I said it. Not all teachers are bad, just like every other profession. Of course there are lazy ones that just want the cash then there are others that go above and beyond and truly love what they do, again, just like any other profession.

This may start an ugly thread but don't come down on an entire group of professionals for the actions of a few.
Elk

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
My favorite teacher "story" (and I've heard quite a few) happened to my wife last year. One of her first graders was climbing on the bathroom stall and broke the toilet paper holder. My wife asked each boy in her class about the damage and this student completely denied any wrong doing. She was going to punish all the boys by making them stay in during recess. Anyway, a couple of students "tattled" on him, so she made only the guilty student sit inside during recess.

The next day she received a 15-minute voice mail from the boy's mother. She was telling my wife that her son was taught that "tattling" is wrong. She also stated it was wrong for my wife to punish her son because other students "tattled" on him. :think

My wife sent a letter to the boy's mother emphasizing that "regardless of their rules at home, it's wrong to climb on the bathroom stalls, damage school property then deny it." ;)

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Elk, you are 100% correct. My son now attends a GT (Gifted & Talented) magnet school here in NC. Since the first grade he has been in “population”, surrounded by students much less fortunate that had the ability to learn but chose not to. My wife and I have been the educators of our son since birth, and have worked with the schools to get them to provide every challenge possible for our son, last year he was advanced a grade after several meetings with the school, (they don’t believe in advancing students) and he excelled well beyond his peers. However, this was because he is educated at home also. Last year he took the Iowa tests and scored across the board 3.6 grade levels and higher above his current placement, thus labeling him GT. Buy luck, because it is a lottery system, after applying he was accepted to the GT school he now attends. At 9 years old, this little guy reads the same literature as my 17 year old is required to for high school. Both of my kids take an interest in school because they enjoy being smart. They both have had good and bad teachers, unfortunately NC is ranked 48th in the nation, but I do not see it as being the teachers fault. The mandate here is to teach to the “slowest” child. I believe in rewarding excellence, not detracting from it. This philosophy gives lazy, disruptive children more attention than the kids who deserve it. The kids that complain that school “sucks” are the ones that make it so. Take an interest in your school, both parents and students; no one else is going to make a difference for you. These “overpaid”, “part timers” bust their butts, but have their hands tied when it comes to making a difference. On top of being under paid, most still purchase, out of pocket, supplies for the classroom due to lack of funds. Bring back corporal punishment for the misbehaved, if that doesn’t work throw the little juvies out of school, it beats promoting a lazy kid to the next grade whom doesn’t deserve it. I have taught my kids to be accountable for their lives, I’m proud of them and they are proud of themselves. Yea, I know I’m all over the place with this one but I put a lot of stock in education. I also stand behind my kids and their efforts.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Dead on whyzeee! :D Good job, kids love to be challenged with learning. My 4 year old gets excited when she learns something and then explains it to us. Their faces light up and little do they know that they are taking big steps in life that will help them later. The down side is that I caught her trying to steal my emblems off the elk!!:confused:
Elk

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I actually had the opportunity to meet and ride with "Dell" this weekend. He was a well-rounded and respectful kid, I was impressed. It took a while for him to open up, maybe because I gave him a hard time from the start concerning the emblem incident. I invited him and his friends to ride the next day at another track and we all had a great time. Met his mom and got the impression she keeps him in line quite well.

Elk, If you don’t mind I’d like to e-mail you again to pick your brain about “business”.:eek:
Dave

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
it has been real interesting to read this whole thread. Just goes to show everyone has an opinion, among other things :D Me, I fault the PC activists for the worl'd problems. see dictionary under Ivan) In my day if you got in trouble at school or at home, you got corporal punishment and that was usually it. Case closed, lesson learned.:cool: Now, if a transgression (PC word for sin) has taken place everyone is defending the rights of the violator, even down to the parents who raised them. :think
my $.02 -

1) people should be held responsible for their actions
2) right and wrong are not the same
3) punishment should fit the crime

we have drifted into an era of "everything is debatable". The only thing worse than people who can't make a stand for what is right is a person who is inconsiderate and expects to above accountability. :mad: :mad:

<falling off soap box because it's so high>

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If the emblems didn't belong to you when you woke up that day and you didn't arrange to buy them from the owner then it is stealing. Whether the school owns them, or some old man or woman that no one knows owns them, YOU stole them from who-ever does own them. Just because they are lying around does not mean you can take them. :mad:

Kevin

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Taking anything that isnt your's is wrong. point blank! Did the crime you do deserve that severe of a punishment? If they are not breaking any laws by violating your rights apperently so. As a minor , the school<during school hours or school related activities> and your parents are completely legally responsible for your health safety and well being so in my opinion you really shoudln't have too many rights to begin with. Terrible I am I know and I used to cry foul for this very same thing when I was younger.
my questions are
Are you a proud dirt biker wearing your jersey to school and your principal is a member of earth first? your a marked man!

Did you get caught ridingyour bike thru the baseball fields during practice?
or something else that the school has an eye on you for? they are going to bust your chops however they can
As a parent/taxpayer there are a lot of issues I have with the school system/ community

1st I don't beleive in tenure there should be no such thing as guaranteeing you a job just because you put in time. If you happen to be working for a private company and get this . Great!! Good for you but as for my tax dollars I should have the right to be able to fire you if I am paying your salary< well as the community sees fit not my personal own view of an individual>

2nd good teachers do not get paid enough something drastically wrong with the pay scale system! You have excellent young math english and science teachers who get paid less than a gym teacher who smokes cigars and eats twinkies while yelling at you to do laps around the field because of tenure.

3rd Teachers dont have enough rights to get the trouble makers out of their class so that the kids that are willing to learn can. If teachers cannot have more avenues of discipline to hand out they have a harder time maintaining an authority. Then the teacher either spends the day telling someone to sit and stop talking or whatever than actually doing what they are supposed to be paid for or they give up and don't care.In the teachers eyes Thank goodness for tenure.

4th Parents part A "Well I pay taxes it is there job to take care of them ." No it is not it is the teachers job to teach the children who want to learn math science ... etc. Morals values and respect should be taught at home so the teacher can spend their time with the actual courses.

Parents part B " My kid wouldn't do that" Yeah right the teacher made up the story because he didnt like my kid's hairdo!! I am sure that there maybe a few mistaken identities and maybe even a few cases of a teacher just not liking a kid but I tend to believe that they are few and far between. And there is a probably a good reasons why the teacher doesnt care for the kid just the teacher legally cant do something about the other reasons so he busts on him when the kid actually does something . Parents should listen to what the teachers say and if they actually don't believe what the teachers say they should talk it out . Not coming in and pointing fingers screaming your persecuting my kid!!! The teacher now thinks that sheeesh I wonder where the kid gets it from.
Maybe just maybe the parent should ask the teacher what to look for at home because you dont see it or whatever but atleast the teacher and the parent will work together now .

If the teacher thinks you are a rotten kid and just doesn't like you or whatever prove the teacher wrong!!!!!! Be a good kid , do your homework , , help when you can,listen in class and not be disruptive .
Make the teacher earn his /her money for what they are getting paid to do. Ask questions relating to the subject and then actually listen and learn ask the teacher to explain something you dont understand in class and then thank them when you get it.
Your future , your family , your teachers and the world will thank you for it You wont spend your life in prison or on welfare and we wont have to pay the taxes to support you!

Bobt250

Jan 21, 2002
I agree with LongTime.

Life is very seldom black and white and I think they overreacted. I also think adults who overreact to such trivial things diminish the power of their arguments when it isn't so trivial.

I have approx 12 junk cars on my property. You can take emblems of them any time you want. I have more important things to worry about

Get a grip.

Top Bottom