Buying a Honda CRF450 Good or Bad?

I'm going to buy a CR450(already started paying on it) to see if it will improve my skills at racing. I currently own a CR500AF from Service Honda which is a blast to ride, but i think the H.P. is to much for track riding. I seem fatigue towards the end of the race, even though i am in good shape.
I've rode the YZ426 and did not like it because it was heavy and too slow. Also tried the KTM 520SX, power was ok but not agressive enough.(Parts to expensive also).
I hope the CR450 is as light as honda says it is, and is as explosive as hyped to be.
Any comments would be appreciated.

:)

hondaman, it seems as though you are taking a big risk by paying on a bike you have never even touched. remember all the hype that came w/ the yz 400 & 426. you said you didn't like the 426 or the ktm for various reasons. also most new models have bugs to be worked out. it is just an opinion, but i would try before you buy. you seem to have a specific taste in machine.:eek:

I agree on the 1st yr bugs in a new bike. I feel if i dont like the bike i will be able to sell without difficulty. I lean towards Honda secondary to the durability. Biggest thing for me is getting use to the 4-stroke type of power.
With a Cr500af, any bike I get onto feels slow. Thanks for the opinion.

I agree that the new crf450 is a good thing and makes some competition in the MX 4-stroke market. I am still skeptical of the new bike being all its cracked up to be. Specs on paper (from the manufacturer) are not the same as real track performance. Even though the bike has been raced a couple times and fared well, those are factory pre-production rule race bikes. I think I'll wait for a couple of reviews before I'd put any money down on one.:cool:

ACS

I would wait. Remember the Yamaha YZ400 / WR400 hype. A lot were disapointed..........

I did order the YZ250F before it was even a serious proposition but I did that on the basis that Yamaha had a few goes at the 400/426 and got it better each year. The Honda is relatively unknown yet ready for release. It doesnt really have any cutting edge technology either. And remember Hondas weights are about half right. The XR650 was supposed to be lighter. Its a barge, a quick barge.....

Hondaman, if you thought the YZ426 was to slow, and the KTM's 520 power
was not agressive enough, what makes you think the Honda CR450F power
is going to be that much better ? It might make maybe 5 hp more than a Yammie, and the same as a KTM 520 (53) but I think you may really be disappointed, mainly since your coming off a 500, most guys switch because
they like the smooth broad controlable power of the 4 strokes, but if your
looking for instant power should have stayed with your 500 2-stroke
Dirt Rider just had a great article about the CR500, they felt it's one of the
best MOTOX bikes of all times, if you can hang on to it !! I realize the excitement of the new Honda will get alot of rider blood boiling and if your
interested you better buy it because if you waited to test ride it, it more than
likely would be sold, its a tough call, but I think based on what you have stated before you maybe disappointed, best of luck Borsy

If you are getting fatigued by the end of the Moto then smoother or less power is in order. Doesn't make sense to say I get tired and want more power!! It will no doubt be a good bike, but don't count on it being too light. Remember they used to say the YZ400 felt like a 250, that was a load of crap. the Japanese companies have a way of streeeeeetching the truth a little when it comes to the actual weight of their motorcycles.

If you didn't like the YZ426, then why would you pursue a bike that's essentially the same thing? Just because the Honda is a few pounds lighter doesn't mean it will handle and feel lighter. Just look at the KTM 250/380. Exactly the same wieght, only the 380 "feels" much heavier. Whenever you add tons of horsepower to the equation, handling degrades, large rotating cranks resist change in motion, and just applying huge torque loads to the drive chain will affect the way the bike handles. I beleive the Honda CR450F will be easier to ride than the CR500, but only because it won't have tha same hit the CR500 does. I turned to 4-strokes because of the incredible spread of the powerband and reduced need for shifting and clutch work.

Mark

Rodzilla

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by hondaman22
I'm going to buy a CR450(already started paying on it) to see if it will improve my skills at racing. I currently own a CR500AF from Service Honda which is a blast to ride, but i think the H.P. is to much for track riding. I seem fatigue towards the end of the race, even though i am in good shape.
I've rode the YZ426 and did not like it because it was heavy and too slow. Also tried the KTM 520SX, power was ok but not agressive enough.(Parts to expensive also).
I hope the CR450 is as light as honda says it is, and is as explosive as hyped to be.
Any comments would be appreciated.

:)
Man you're full of contridictions. Kinda can't make up your mind huh? ;)

You're really putting the cart before the horse here, asking questions about a bike that no ones ridden and most of us have never seen in person.

The 426 is too slow? The CR500 is too much, the 520 is not aggressive enough. Seems you've got the old "can I have my cake and eat it too?" syndrome.

Your not going to be happy with any bikes power if you compare it to a CR500 and a thumper will never be as aggressive (power delivery wise) as a smoker.

Sounds like a few more reps in th gym are in order, 90% of the time it's the rider not the bike.

Just my opinion.

Rod

It's vrtually impossible to obtain legitimate opinions on a motorcycle that none of us here have ridden. My suspicion is that the 450 will be a good motorcycle, and well built. However, if you didn't like the YZ426, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a motorcycle that was designed to directly compete with the 426. I'm sure the Honda will differ from the Yamaha in some ways, but the only thing we know for sure at this point is that the two motorcycles are going to have many more similarities than differences. It's the same as a person declaring that they hate the Yamaha YZ250, think it's way too slow and heavy, so they're opting for the CR250 instead. Modern motocross motorcycles in the same class may have subtle differences in handling and power delivery, but they're not very far removed from one another. If you like a YZ, you may like a CR a little more or maybe less, but odds are, if you hate the YZ, then you're not going to be impressed with the CR either. That's my opinion.

But my opinion is also that if you buy the 450F and stick with it enough to adapt, you won't be disappointed. My personal confidence level is very high that it's going to be a fun, high-performing, well built motorcycle. Good luck with it and I think most of us here look forward to a ride report and your impressions once you have it!

J.B.426

Subscriber
The last 3 posts had good points. If I may reiterate something, the differences in power between the new Honda and 426 will be small. If you didn't think the 426 had enough power, you will be disappointed with the power of the Honda.

The Yamaha 426,and the KTM 520 &400 are all fine 4 stroke motocrossers,now Honda too will have a great bike.It is the rider more than the bike,we all get too wrapped up on which bike is the flavor of the month. Look at Shane Watts beating open class bikes on his KTM 200.Buy the color you like the best.:confused: ;)

Not to flame you brother, but to say the 426 is too slow accounts for a serious loss of credibility. Excuse me, I need to check my B.S. radar. It seems to have started pinging:eek:

Call Ryan Hughs!;) ;) He can give you an opinion. Sorry that was'nt called for. But realistically, the other replies are correct, it's going to be hard to evaluate something that is not even here yet!!:think :think