bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Good evening:

i moved to san diego from england a couple of years ago and want to get into mx riding again. I am looking for the newest bike i can afford (probably a yz400 or similar year yz250) but i have found these "competition machines" cannot be regiistered green.
Can anyone please help regarding questions about these infernal "green stickers"

How much worse as far as riding times and places are red than green? (being from england i like mud!, it might rain one day right!)

If green stickers are only for bikes built before 1997, how come some newer mx bikes advertised locally come with green stickers?

is there some secret trick to register the newer bikes green?

If i get one of these newer bikes with a green sticker, would it be difficult to get issued with another green when it comes to renewal time?

thanks advance for your help

cheers

bruce

YZr1der

Aug 17, 2001
most of the register places here in california don't really pay any attention to the bike they just issue a sticker. i know someone who had a 95 xr600 and was issued a red sticker around May this year.

SeanATK

Apr 26, 2000
YZR1dr

Your friend needs to go back to the DMV and raise some hell. The XR 600 IS a "Green Sticker" bike, regardless of year.

YZr1der

Aug 17, 2001
SeanATK,
he did go back and raise "hell" (the head guy had a devilish haircut :debil: ). he was there arguing for about 4 hours... many phone calls later he was issued the green sticker.:cool: (never going to that DMV again)

socalwr

Jun 26, 2001
FROM WHAT I HEAR THE DMV FINALLY HAS THE SYSTEM DOWN ON THE ISSUING OF GREEN AND RED STICKERS. THE ONLY DIRT BIKE I BELIEVE THAT GETS A GREEN STICKER NOW IS AN XR, ALL ELSE RED. MY BIKE IS RED STICKER, BUT I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE I RIDE, I JUST RIDE, NOBODY HAS EVER SAID ANYTHING. NEVER HEARD OF ANY PROBLEMS.

BCLAPHAM - IF YOU WANT RAIN AND MUD DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thanks for the help and suggestions folks.

also, dear socalwr: you sound like you live in a similar area to me, so can you tell me if i could get to ride within two hours of san diego at most times of the year?

ps. i said the "mud and rain" thing tongue in cheek! i do miss many things about my home country, but the rain is not one of them!

cheers, Bruce.

socalwr

Jun 26, 2001
I live in north orange county about an 1.5 hours from san diego. i know there are a lot of places to ride in the san diego area within an hours drive from what i have read on the posts. few motocross tracks if you shoot up the 15 freeway (Elsinore, Perris, Comp Park). I have done some riding in Baja, but that is more open high speed riding. submit a post for san diego area riders you will probably get better help.

Garbo

Oct 14, 2001
FROM WHAT I HEAR THE DMV FINALLY HAS THE SYSTEM DOWN ON THE ISSUING OF GREEN AND RED STICKERS.

The DMV is still lost in the clouds on this issue. I have a 99 YZ400F which is and came with a Red Sticker, but to my supprize last month what did I get in the mail when I paid my renewal. A GREEN STICKER, bad news is I got sent to North Carolina on a business assignment. Brought my Bike, but don't need the freakin sticker out here.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
DMV sent me a red sticker and my bike is a 4-stroke and yet they sent a green sticker for my husband's bike which is a 2-stroke. It doesn't make sense? :think

I wonder if I go to the DMV and raise some heck if I can get a green sticker for my bike?

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
The DMV is still clueless. I got a red sticker with my YZ426, sent in my renewal and got a green sticker. My 99 400 came with a green sticker and the guy that bougth it renewed the registration and got a red sticker :confused:

Garbo

Oct 14, 2001
I wonder if I go to the DMV and raise some heck if I can get a green sticker for my bike?

KTMster, Basically the way that I understand it, if the 8th digit in your VIN# is a 3 or a C it is considered a non-compliant bike and is supposed to get a red sticker. As you have seen and heard the Dmv has no clue on what is going on and that is the reason that some people get red and some get green I guess its karma:p

Check your Vin and double check my 8th digit theory and raise some hell if you have a leg to stand on, if not I wouldn't waste my time arguing with them.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
01 wr green sticker

And it has the wrong # on the vin...
DMV is wacked.
All the rangers do is check if you have a green sticker.
Get a buddies title who has an older stickerable bike and get a replacement sticker.
The rangers don't check the # on the sticker ever.
Or get an out of state green sticker.
When I first moved to California I had a Michigan green sticker and they accepted it at all the riding areas.
In Wisconsin they don't title dirtbikes so you can just buy a sticker ata sporting goods store and run it as long as it is current.
The green sticker issue is completely bogus and easily defeated.:scream:

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
YZ 250f

Is the YZ250f a Green sticker bike?? I don't live in Cali, but I want to move there when I'm older(I Drool thinking about all the great tracks there and the year around riding). I probably won't have this bike, but will probably have a newer version of this bike or a crf250. I would think that a 4 stroker would be a green sticker bike.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
sorry dude:

by the looks of it, any MX bike built after 1997 is red sticker, even if it is a four stroke. although some people have green stickers with newer bikes, from what i can gather they got them because of DMV mistakes. Thus, the next time they register they might not be as lucky.

i am still to find out how much a problem the red stickers are when it comes to riding at different times, i doubt it will be a big deal, but if anyone has any knowledge about this i would be grateful to hear it.

in the mean time, i think i will go for an older 1996 cr250 (hopefully in good condition, and i think this was a good year) and just get into riding again and have some fun.

But if anyone knows a way round the red/green thing i would also be interested to listen.

cheers,
bruce

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The YZ250F is not a 'green sticker' bike. WR Yamahas, dirt versions of the DRZ and pre- '02 KTM 4 strokes are also red sticker. As previously noted, the law is a mess and many people have green stickers or license plates on the above mentioned bikes, despite their red sticker status.

Garbo

Oct 14, 2001
The rangers don't check the # on the sticker ever.
Or get an out of state green sticker.

As much of a good idea as this sound do not try. My self and two friends were busted in gorman for running "THE WHITE STICKER" the sticker you could by last year at any shop for $20. When the ranger saw us with these stickers while we were at camp (not riding) he asked who's bikes these were and wanted to see our drivers licences. Long story short we were all given fines, some were in the low $100's but were told that the other alternative was he would impound the bikes and we would be arrested for Felony Tampering or something like that( Can't remember exactly but had to do with falsifying registration) The only way it would work is to get a DL from another state, but if you keep your current CA DL you will once more be walking the line.

The best thing we can do instead of trying to find a way around the system is to change the system. If we would all ban together, and let our local, state and federal representatives know that we are not happy about the situation and if they don't help us, we will vote for someone else next time that will!!!!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I should add...

That my statements were made from my personal experiences.
After 8 years of law enforcement in the Coast Guard I have seen many different forms of interpretation of the LAW.
It is kinda sick.
I would have to agree with Garbo, changing the law would be the best bet.
What ever happened to serve and protect?

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Green Sticker

One thing that was not mentioned was the fact that bikes are under 90CC were not red stickered till after 2000. While this may not be of much use if you have a 125 or 250 it doesnt hurt to borrow the kids sticker for a while. So what if you accidently got the two bikes stickers mixed up lol.

mxracer724

Oct 6, 2001
This sucks!

:scream: That sucks that no motocross bikes can get green stickers! I've have heard that all of the states will be going to california's emission standards in 2006 or something from magazines and such. That is so dumb. Will this be the end of all motocross bikes?? I thought the reason they came out with the 4 strokes like mine was so they would pass the emissions and be able to get green stickers. Are motocross bikes going to go down the drain?:(

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dude:

dont panic too much, the more recent mx bikes get red stickers, you can go off road but at more limited places and times (the extent of which i am yet to establish).
there is also many places you can look up so your voice can be heard about these matters. at the end of the day, motorcycles are big business and i am sure the market will ensure there are places to ride, but longer term, the stress on the enviroment will show and there will be massive clamp downs. after all, oil is a finite source and it will run out some time! personallly, i think they should cut down on the engine sizes of road going vehicles. how many dirtbikes running all day use as much gas (or produce as much CO2) as one big v8 guzzler that does less than 10mpg? i dont mean to offend people who own larger vehicles (just offering food for thought), but i also think the environmentalists are looking at the wrong place (in dirtbikes) with the ommisions thing. (one other argument they do have though, is the physical damage to the envirment). we have to do our bit, even if it is small thing like not littering and stuff like that

cheers
bruce

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I mean...

It is public land.
What does public really mean?
I think it is our rules and if we don't like 'em...
It sure is a lot easier to weasel a green sticker than change the law.
I think I might be biting off too big a chunk here...:scream:

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
The best thing we can do instead of trying to find a way around the system is to change the system. If we would all ban together, and let our local, state and federal representatives know that we are not happy about the situation and if they don't help us, we will vote for someone else next time that will!!!!

Damb good idea cuz thats the onoly way were gonna beat the envirmentolist is to change the system. And if that dont work.. well just let me say this "they cant arrest us all!!" :p lol

check out my site!! MOTOZONE

Top Bottom