California to ban hauling ATV's or dirtbikes in your truck bed

lennyspall

May 17, 2008
Has anyone heard of this? Someone told me about this after they read about it in the paper or internet (he couldn't remember). Anyone have any info on this?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
They'd be doing something if they banned the hauling of ladders in your truck...."ladder across lanes on freeway causes heavy backup". Never heard that regarding dirt bikes or ATV's.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
lennyspall said:
Has anyone heard of this? Someone told me about this after they read about it in the paper or internet (he couldn't remember). Anyone have any info on this?

Most likely on the internet. :laugh:

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

Even California isn't that screwed up. :rotfl:

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Ol'89r said:
Most likely on the internet. :laugh:

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

idk about that...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Ol'89r said:
You won't deny, though, that there could very well be some California state legislator that has tried to pass a bill to that effect, right?

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
XRpredator said:
You won't deny, though, that there could very well be some California state legislator that has tried to pass a bill to that effect, right?

There has been a law since the early 80's that you must have a special "transport" tag on any vehicle that is hauled on a trailer or truck bed. It has never been enforced. Idaho & Oregon have the same law.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
haven't heard of that one, and I'm lookin' to make sure . . .

we have had the local law-dogs say they were going to get tough on making sure vehicles were licensed for the proper tonnage, when pulling a trailer or whatnot.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XRpredator said:

Dang! Ya' got me there Pred. :whoa:

We've got Boxer and Feinstein. :bang: It don't get no wackier than that. :nod:

There is a law on the books here in Kaliforniastan that says you have to have your bike licensed to haul it in an open truck bed or an open trailer. If it doesn't have a red or green sticker or a license plate, it has to be in an enclosed trailer or box truck. Not visible to the outside. :coocoo:

Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it though.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Ol'89r said:
We've got Boxer and Feinstein. :bang: It don't get no wackier than that. :nod:

Less than one month from Obama - Biden - Reid - Pelosi controlling Washington. Gonna make Cali look conservative.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Ol'89r said:
There is a law on the books here in Kaliforniastan that says you have to have your bike licensed to haul it in an open truck bed or an open trailer. If it doesn't have a red or green sticker or a license plate, it has to be in an enclosed trailer or box truck. Not visible to the outside. :coocoo:

Never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it though.

Can't they get you for not having commercial tags on a (sorry Pred, I cannot call them a rig :) ) pick up?

I no op'd my bike, maybe if I pass em fast enough they wont notice no tags on it :ride:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rickyd said:
Can't they get you for not having commercial tags on a (sorry Pred, I cannot call them a rig :) ) pick up?
:

Ricky.

Technically yes, but with all of the new personalized license plates I don't think they pay much attention to that anymore.

I'll have to ask elk.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
I'll have to ask elk.

... as soon as he finishes cutting 89r's lawn. :whoa:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
89er ain't got no lawn, he lives on a rock! And I've moved up to lawn art now. The law about the red and green sticker being visible if an atv/off road motorcycle is being transported in the back of truck is definately a law. It's a great way for us to check on stolen bikes and give us a reason to stop and check them. No sticker, we can stop you. I've recovered numerous stolen bikes this way and I have never had anyone with a non-stolen bike complain one bit once I explain what I'm looking for. Most guys are very greatful that someone actually cares to catch dirty bastages that steal our rides. I can also say that I've never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket for it though. ;)

Next time I find a stolen ride, I'll call 89er so he can beat them with his cane!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
a454elk said:
. . . definitely a law. It's a great way for us to check on stolen bikes and give us a reason to stop and check them. No sticker, we can stop you.
jack-booted thug!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I heard something on this subject on a 4x4 show. The jest of it was that you would have to have "approved" tie downs. Use of rope or unapproved tie downs would constitute illegal transportation and safety hazards. I don't recall the name of the show but they trick out trucks with bolt on parts and then have an offroad celeb take them for a ride."woopy".
Most states have statutes that prohibit transporting anything improperly. That leaves alot of disgression. If you keep your racing to the track or trail and not on the freeway, you really shouldn't worry to much. Look and act like a thug, you'll probably get treated as such.

DISCLAIMER:
No thugs were harmed in the making of the above statement. Professional rider on a closed course. Proper safety equipment should always be used. Always wear a helmet. Never vote for a liberal!.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom