JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i am kinda undecided between the 2 can you guys give me some pros or cons on either side i have been told a lot 2 get a 2t but if theyre so good then y is tons of ppl turnin to 4t
thx

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
they're going 4 strokes cause they can cheat legally. 450cc 12,000 rpm engine verses a 250cc 11,000 rpm engine. They're fairly equal in HP, but the 4t has more torque.
Same goes for the 250 in a 125 class, Now if your lax on maintaining your bike, do not get a 4 stroke race bike. Valve adjustment every 15 hours, oil change after every day of riding. you will be doing t he same work on the same schedule as a formula 1 car. They're the same as owning 1/8 of a Formula 1 race engine.
Two strokes are not dead, they're still winning in the off road world. Easier to ride for 2 hour Hare Scrambles etc.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ya i definatley dont kno much about fixin a dirtbike considering i havent owned 1 yet and i have ridden a 2t and they seem fun also

Skinnghi

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 15, 2006
Technically you can get away with riding a two stroke quite a bit with only a new top end and some oil changes every now and then. Fairly easy to keep running well.

The downsides are the jetting and plugs, the powerband, and getting used to that "powerband" of a two stroke (If you aren't already).

The four stoke is a lot of maintenance (If you're going with the moto style (CRF etc.)) and can require a lot of knowledge about the engines and vavles to even keep it running at all. My dad had a CRF 450 when I bought my CR 250 and he would spend hours on hours in the garage measuring stuff and draining liquids while I would tear my entire top end apart, replace it all, and have it back together in about 1.5 hours.

I love the two stroke because it's a two stroke, I love the sound, the feel, and the accessiblity of the engine and maintenance.

My 02' CR250 is the perfect machine,a nd I would recommend it to anyone. At this point I've got about 4 or 5 grand into it in aftermarket parts etc, but I still remember what it was like off the showroom floor. A monster.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I'm a poor college student, I cannot afford to ride a 4-stroke. Right now, I'm having trouble affording gas, though. 4 gallons of 91 octane a day at $2.75 a gallon and a pint of oil for $8. A friend on a WR400 burned only 1-1.5 gallons trying to keep up with me.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Are you racing or play/trail riding? What kind of a rider are you? If you answer the questions in the sticky, you'll get better answers.

Trail bikes have practically indestructible engines - 2 or 4 stroke. They're tuned for low end power and low RPMs.

Race bike engines need closer attention. The smaller the mill, the more it needs. A 500cc two stroke is light, powerful, and long lived. A 125 2ST or 250 4ST racer needs to be watched for signs of wear on a very regular basis. In a catastrophic engine failure a 4ST can be more costly to rebuild. But the 4ST has a more rider friendly powerband than a similar sized 2ST.

RS1441

Jun 18, 2006
I used to ride 2t but i changed the 4t i find them nicer to handle all around and i am glad i changed but alot of people prefer the 2t up to you all's good in the end :)

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i am gonna b racing this summer. there is a track like 10 min. away and i would practice there like once a week and race there on sunday like once or twice a month and i love going fast and am very aggressive (sometimes a bad thing) but ya i am leanin towards a 2t kx125 or possibly an rm125 i am willing 2 get used 2 the power band

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
JD_MXRacer said:
i am gonna b racing this summer. there is a track like 10 min. away and i would practice there like once a week and race there on sunday like once or twice a month and i love going fast and am very aggressive (sometimes a bad thing) but ya i am leanin towards a 2t kx125 or possibly an rm125 i am willing 2 get used 2 the power band

havent you already made like 3 threads asking what bike you get, and it always comes out a KX125?!? ;) youve gotten my vote on several other threads, KX125.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
KDX607 said:
leave him alone.

lol its ok i have made plenty of first bike posts and the only reason i made this 1 is because i wanted 2 kno y every1... well a lot of ppl r goin 4t. i had planned on gettin a 2t ne way i rode 1 last weekend it was awesome lol

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i am soooooo sorryyyyy i will type better from nowwwww onnnn
just kiddin yea i do that a lot sometimes i do that on my homework even and get in trouble i guess i just sit on forums like these for too long

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ive figured that out already cant till spring! but this spring is gonna rock

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ya this spring im flyin out to west varginia to my aunts to help her out with her horses and babysit and in return shes buyin me a dirtbike because just down the road is a track from her

mxmatt15

Dec 4, 2006
JD_MXRacer said:
lol its ok i have made plenty of first bike posts and the only reason i made this 1 is because i wanted 2 kno y every1... well a lot of ppl r goin 4t. i had planned on gettin a 2t ne way i rode 1 last weekend it was awesome lol

everyone is goin to thumpers cause in 08 you will not be able to race with them anymore

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom