Cam Bearing Failures

Of all the cam bearing failures, it would be interesting to know how many were using full synthetic oil. KTM upgraded the 2002 design but maybe full synthetic oil in 2000-2001 RFS's will prevent the problem? I do know that all pro stock drag bikes use full synthetic's because if they don't guess whats the first thing to go, cam bearings and top end after only a couple runs. The KTM RFS is a high performance motor (not like XR's or DR's) and also runs hot, synthetic's hold up better then normal oil. Use a top grade motorcycle full synthetic oil (not Mobil 1, it's great for cars) and change it a lot. This is only my two cents and I'm not bagging on anyone, we all take good care of our bikes. Maybe those of us with 2000-2001 RFS's will get lucky and not need to replace the stinking bearings if we use full synthetic. (after all this watch mind you out next week!!!).

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
I cannot comment on the synthetic prevention issue, but based on all the posts and conversation I have had locally about the bearing issue. It seems to have more to do with proper sealing/seals/carrier problems than any thing else. KTM did address these items in '02, but the bearings are the same!

One thing I did find interesting in my '02 manual is KTM RECOMMENDS using fully synethetic. Mobil 1 it is!

So, what's your issue with Mobil 1? Not to be bagging on your post or anything, but why don't you voice your concerns to Rich? I'm going to do my first oil/filter change now. I hope Mobil 1 won't hurt anything.:eek:

I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 and use it in all my cars. I would love to put it in my 400 but have been told the following by my local shop and also "thumper racing" and an article in "dirt rider" said not to use it. Mobil 1 dones not hold up AS GOOD in 4-stroke motorcycles, because of all the fast moving parts it SHEARS faster then a top brand "motorcycle full synthetic oil". Our cars don't have as many moving parts. But like I said I'd love to put it in my RFS. Maybe someone else can help.

pom

strange about what you have been told about mobil one. Just got some
10w50 mobil one 4T full synthetic made specially for motorbikes. My mobil
dealer laughed when I told him what you have posted.:p
pom

I think the real issue with Mobil 1 is that most of their oils contain friction modifiers. Oils with an EC rating contain friction modifiers, which will cause clutch slipping. Check the circle on the back of the bottle for the EC rating or the words "Energy Conserving", and don't use that type of oil in your RFS. I'm currently using Maxima Maxum 4 synthetic blend in my RFS with no problems.....let's hope none develop.

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
I just love this saying, "the ignorant don't know they are ignorant"

Mobil 1 15W-50, many bikes, 1000's of miles - ZERO failures, excellent clutch action, ease of finding neutral, no notchy shifting.

Use what your dealer tells you to though - Those guys know their stuff!:p

jeb

Strick, you're using the right stuff. The 15-50 Mobil 1 car oil does not have the friction modifiers. I think all the other M1 car grades do, though, and I wouldn't personally use them. Now, as far as the what oil I was using in my RFS when I had the failure. I was and am using Belray EXP semi-synthetic. I don't think that's a factor, though, as I know guys running dino oil in '00's since new and they have not had the problem. Good question, though.

mx4T oil?

Strick, are you using the Mobil 1 mx4T oil for motorcycles or the automotive oil?

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
Mobil 1 15W-50 automotive oil! I will continue its' use until I experience a permature failure (and I don't think I will)

so witch is better for a bike ? 15w50 auto oil , or the mx4t motorcycle
specific oil ?:confused:

Neither...

Mobil 1 for automotive is low in zinc phosphate, to not cause harm to catalytic converters. Good for cars. Not ideal for motorcycles. Mobil 1 MX4T is not the recommended viscosity weight for temps above 32F.
Silkolene Pro-4 Synthetic 15W-50. It's red!

Hey Strick, you don't need to be mean, I'm not "ignorant". I'm only passing on information to maybe help us all. I said I'm a big fan of Mobil 1 and may use it but I'm currently using Maxum 4 full synthetic. Also what do you mean "voice my concern's to Rich"? My concern's are for everyone on this forum with RFS's.

Strick,

SHAME ON YOU! for starting the oil thread...again!:confused:

The rest of you.... If you're interested in "why"....We've beat this to death on DRN in the past....just search on "Mobil 1".

Hey if it makes you comfortable, spend the extra money, lifes short...be happy:)

car oils

It just seems more logical that motorcycle specific oils would be better for motorcycles than automotive oils, if not then why make them? Just tell everybody to run automotive oil in their bikes. I know things aren't allways as they seem but untill someone does a real good job of convincing me otherwise I will run motorcycle oil in my motorcycle.

Re: car oils

Originally posted by HGaither
It just seems more logical that motorcycle specific oils would be better for motorcycles than automotive oils, if not then why make them? Just tell everybody to run automotive oil in their bikes. I know things aren't allways as they seem but untill someone does a real good job of convincing me otherwise I will run motorcycle oil in my motorcycle.
I understand what you're saying...and I've got a one word answer....

MARKETING