MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, ya'all know how I crashed and busted myself up last weekend. Well my brother came over and we discovered that I blew my right fork seal :( . I looked in my Yamaha manual and it seems TOO easy. From what I can tell all I need to do is remove the cap, remove the spring, empty the oil, remove the dust seal and retainer ring. Then slap the tubes apart reverse procedure and I'm in business. Is this all it takes??? It just sounds too easy.

Oh ya, it's a 1996 YZ125

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yes it is that easy-but you need a seal driver and sometimes the bushes are damadged when removing them.Also ensure when you set the airgap you fill the forks to the brim then lower the oil down to the correct height.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Yes it is that easy-but you need a seal driver and sometimes the bushes are damadged when removing them.
Does the seal driver fit around the lower fork tube and allow you to hit the seal down?? If I don't have a seal driver (which I don't) is there a way around? Can I make a seal driver, can I use something else??

Originally posted by marcusgunby
Also ensure when you set the airgap you fill the forks to the brim then lower the oil down to the correct height.
Air gap? Are you referring to the oil level?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
OK, It'll probably be a while as my shoulder isn't doing as good as I expected. Any ideas on how to get away without having a seal driver??

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
You cant get away without a seal driver... at least not for long :confused:

I've seen some in catalogs for as little as 20 dollars... fork seals and drivers still equals less than having a professional do it.

I'll pm you as soon as I can remember where I saw those drivers.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You can get away with a pvc tube with a slit cut down the length-its hard to get the seal in though as it has no weight behind it like a proper driver.If you plan on doing many its worth the investment as you save a fortune on sending stuff out.Air gap does mean oil level sorry for confusing it-i often revert from one saying to the other.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Marcus,
Would you recomend a cressent wrench and pliars on your senstive machines? Sorry buddy I just got to give you guff! You know I should'nt talk beacuse I do own a "universial installer" but only the ocasional od ball gets it...

Buy a good driver..

Regards,
Jer

Top Bottom