Can I get away with Springs Only?

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I'm coming off of a TE570 that was setup springs and shims (valving) for my weight and off-road racing that I was doing. I've now moved to a YZ250 with stock springs and a sub tank. How the sub works, I don't know and the guy I got it from had no clue. He got the bike from his club mechanic.
I ride enduros and desert events in D37 out here in Southern Ca, and I'm 250 pounds. I have the stock suspension maxed out and on the first ride yesterday, I could slam the frame/skidplate into the ground when going at moderate speed 2nd gear over 2' sand whoops. I'll need to go to a 63-67 fork spring and a 47+ shock. The questions is can I get away with just installing springs and going to 7 weight oil at 120mm. I just don't have the funds to do much more.

Any input would be a major help. Also I could never get the sag set on the stock springs so the bike is out of balance as it sits. Got the rider sag, but couldn't get the unladen sag. Also the bike would under turn on every corner do to front springs that are too soft for my weight.

On the sub tanks, can yo give and input. I'm inclined to remove them and run my KTM bleeders if they will fit.

Thanks

Ed

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The sub tanks work but you have to halve the airgap, i would get the right springs and use the thicker oil and see how it works.You can do stuff in stages, if that doesnt work you then need valving but you have to buy the springs anway so why not try them first.

Top Bottom