Can I,,,, maybe I should have bought and EXC

UsedToBeFast

Jul 8, 2002
:think: I'm back riding after 14 years of work, family etc...., you guys have heard all this stuff before. What I've done is bought an 02 YZ426 and begun modifying it for off road. Now before everyone yells at me for not buying a WR426, I did it because back in the 80's when I was racing Hare Scrambles, I prefered modifying MXer's instead of running WRs. I raced Husky WRs for a while, but ended up happiest with a modified RM250. In other words I was scared that I'd drop a big chunk of cash on a WR and really want a YZ.

Ok, so I've added 12 oz to the flywheel, Fredette hand guards, flywheel cover and so far so good. Once I learned how to start it and added the weight, I love it. The only thing thats bug'n me is that to get 1st down to a level that's really useful on the tight and twisties, (13 up front and 49 in back) I loose to much up on top in 5th. The spread isn't bad, but I keep wanting to up shift one more time.

So, the question is, can a sixth gear be added to the 02 gearbox? Alternately, has anyone swapped in the WR gearset? Cost? Ease?

I just met a new riding buddy who's on the KTM EXC 400 and if I knew the details of this bike before I jumped back in, I'd probably have bought it (6 spd, elec start, hyd clutch, all kind's of slick stuff).

thanks

Top Bottom