Can't stay on the throttle when jumping.

Nads747

Apr 6, 2000
Hey Everyone-

I have been riding for about 4 months and have taught myself to chop the throttle and lean back everytime I hit a jump. I have been trying to "goose" it on the jump now and/or stay on the throttle. It feels like I am going to flip the bike over backwards (and have a few times) everytime I try this. I am 6'2" on a YZ 250.
I feel like I am leaning forward but how can I know for sure? Is it possible that I don't have enough rebound to kick my backend up? I need help before I kill myself :)

thanks

------------------

YZFlyer

Jan 14, 2001
Keep the throttle steady over the jumps. If you will do a search on jumping on this sight you will find a ton of good info.

------------------
2000 KX 250
96 YZ 250
98 PW 80(son's)
98 KTM SR PRO 50z(son's)2

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
f you taught yourself to chop the throttle you can teach yourself not to. If you think you’re leaning forward but not sure, take Moo’s suggestion and read the front number plate and you’ll be sure that you are in fact leaning forward. Take it slow the 1st few times till you get the feel but keep a constant throttle. Be sure you’re in the attack position standing, grip the bike with you ankles and knees and arch your back so if you come up short your legs will absorb what the suspension doesn't, this will keep from hurting your back. Keep your elbows up and grip the bars from the edge like you’re reaching for a doorknob and keep your wrists level. As you get more comfortable, increase your speed and feel how the bike reacts. You can maneuver the bike in the air with body movement, if the nose is too low gas it and it will come up, if it's high pull in the clutch and tap the rear brake and the front will come down. A table-top is the best kind of jump to learn on unless you way over jump it. :) Follow up with us and let us know how it goes.

------------------
"Nature Boy"

Nads747

Apr 6, 2000
Thanks for the replies!~ I'll be going out in the middle of the week to see if I can break this habit. I'll let you know how it goes.

krash133

Feb 2, 2001
Just try to stay centered over the footpegs of the bike at all times during the jump. Do this with a steady throttle and the bike will almost jump itself naturally.

Ocracing

Feb 12, 2001
Wow!

Jeff, excellent explaination [SP] about how to jump with the throttle on.

I copied and pasted that into a text file!

Print her out, and bring it with me to the track...

I'm going to have to try this.. Sounds like an excellent way of jumping...

I could have used that on this jump: http://www.wheres.com/etc/test1/curtis.jpg

Thanks man!

Curt

------------------
2000 YZ 125 - #26
-Outta Control Racing-
Goodies?: FMF Goldseries Fatty Pipe, Power Core 2 Silencer, Boyesen Carbon Fiber Racing Reeds, Excel Rims, Renthal Twin-Wal Bars, Wiseco Pro Lite Piston Kit, Sunstar Sprockets, DID ERT Gold Chain...

BIKEMAN111

Mar 19, 2001
obviously throttle it in the air to bring it up tap the rear brake to set the front down steady throttle if you chop the throttle and miss time it you`ll endo for sure if you leave the ramp with a closed throttle. incidently I`ve always preferred to hook my boot /toes under the brake pedal to help hold on

Mar 14, 2001
Another addition to all the current suggestions is while in the air push forward on the bars after you leave the ground and return to a more neutral position before you hit the ground. It looks like you are putting all your weight towards the rear of the bike but you are actually pushing the front end down. Useing this technique you can jump somewhat nose high without getting into trouble. I learned this at the Tony D MX School and felt a lot more comfortable when jumping.

------------------
If you have't crashed you haven't lived!

MXRacer9

Aug 19, 2000
A thing we motocross racers that bust big airs call the "back brake" works really good! hehe no, really, when your front end gets high, slam the back brake, but dont hold it on or you'll stall ur bike in the air, and that makes for a pretty hard landing.....if you stay on ur bike hehe..unlike me.....

MXRacer9
2001 KX85

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
When I want to lower the front end, I just "float" my right foot up and back to about the middle of the sidepanel. It puts much more weight on the front end, lowering it. It is a much smoother technique than the braking one, I only use that in a panic situation or a steep step-up.
OCracing, that was a fun jump at rocky hill, you must have hit it really funky to go flying like that. Ever try the 60 foot uphill double that they had 2 jumps after that, it was killer, i've never cleared it, but cased it 3 times.

------------------
Aaron's web site

Top Bottom