Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
While checking my 220 over for an upcoming Sunday ride I discovered that the carb boot that is between the reed valve and carb had a small slit on the outside in it right where the carb attaches to the boot. The slit has not penetrated all the way through to form a complete hole. My bike is under warranty so I took it to the dealer and of course they don't have one in stock, it will get here next week. I want to ride this Sun so I took the boot and filled the crack in with high temp black silicone sealant and stuck the carb back in it to allow it to dry to proper shape. Because the smaller clamp leaves the slit exposed I bought a hose clamp and attached the carb to the boot with that hose clamp and it completly covers the slit. When I looked inside the boot I could see where this slit had no problem from the inside and I'm just wondering if the "experts" will give me advice about this temporary fix for a 1 day ride.

When I suggested to the dealer that I might patch it up with silicone he said "do what you want but I wouldn't" (keep in mind that this guy has never heard of 220 pistons cracking or doesn't know of anyone using a FMF pipe on the bikes -a little uninformed I think)

Is there a problem using a std hose clamp? It looks pretty solid to me, but thought I would get some other opinions. Any problems with the silicone that you know of?

Thanks!

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Is it possible to put a strip of duct tape around it a precautionary measure, then put the clamp around the boot.

P.S. I work part time in a Kawasaki shop and I've never seen a cracked 220 piston either.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by DANIEL JOSEPH
[
P.S. I work part time in a Kawasaki shop and I've never seen a cracked 220 piston either. [/B]

Thanks for the idea, sorry no offense on the 220 piston, but on this board and according to Jeff Fredette the piston is risky if you do any mods to the bikes engine.

I like the duct tape idea, I'll put some on.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I'm not offended. I too have heard of it through this website, I've just never seen it. Being in the Metallurgical feild I could see how it's possible. I just don't believe it's as wide spread as some would lead us to believe. We sell between 15-20 KDX 220 every year, I own one, as do a few of my freinds (all Modified). I never seen a piston crack (I'm knocking on wood at this moment). Dan J.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Personally I would use electrical tape instead of duct tape, it stretches and will make a better seal then finish with a clamp.

Top Bottom