Carb boring... 33mm to 36mm

Rokosh

Mar 4, 2003
Has anyone ever bored out their stock 33mm KDX220 carb to 36mm to improve mid-top end power? Is this a worth while modification? And if so how much can I expect this to cost?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It IS well worth it. No, I don't have a 220, and no, I didn't have my carb (just) bored!

So what the heck do I know, eh?

Any sort of search on this subject will get you lots of information. The 33mm carb on the 220 'fits' its lower performance profile (compared to the 200), but this is a case where more is definitely better. At least other 220 owners that have done it are satisfied with it. I have read one post from a rider that wasn't that impressed.

BUT consider not 'just' boring the carb, but having the rb mod done. That includes a bore to 36mm, but also a divider plate in the outlet throat and some other machine work (slide cut for one).

Read what CDave has to say about it (on his site. You have that bookmarked, right?)

Any search of this site will get you tons of positive responses regarding the rb mod.

rmacdona

Mar 10, 2002
I put a kdx 200 carb on a 220 and I felt it made a considerable difference (put a rad valve and pipe on around the same time). After those mods the bike was a different beast all together. e-mail me if you want to know my set-up. rick_macdonald@tbgna.com

Top Bottom