Apr 20, 2001
I recently tried to set my bikes float level according to canadian daves article, I have set it to 16mm as per article but the bike still has the same problems, And I know I am also losing performance on the bike as I think my pilot circuit does not get the proper fuel

As soon as the bike stands for longer than 20 minutes the bike wont start due to the petrol overflowing into the engine. Could this be anything else than the carb.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
While you where setting the float level did you check the needle valve for wear? If the rubber tip is worn it will let gas into the float bowl when it's closed causing it to overflow.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yup, if petrol is getting into the crankcase it has to pass through the carb. Make sure you turn the tap off if leaving for a reasonable time, but 20min not long at all.

If the float-needle (ie the fingys controlled by the float opening) looks ok (a bit of a ring is normal) also take the float jet out & check there isn’t any crud hiding under it preventing the needle seating.

Tip if the float jet is a bit dodgy, drop a small ball bearing down the hole & give it a bit of a tap to make the hole perfectly round again.

Otherwise it’s buy a new float needle time. Oh joy!

Apr 20, 2001
Thank you all for the help, It turned out that it was in fact not my carb that was causing the problem, but my fuel tap on my tank that was leaking.And it seems that the needle had a slight seating problem and also corrected that...And whala problem sovled, Now i dont have to run up and down the road to start the bike .

:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom