Cases split, how to clean everything inside now?

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
I was wondering what your guys procedure was once the bottom end is all apart.

This is my 1st rebuild :cool: I was gonna do the top end but there was damage to my cylinder once it was off so i took the entire thing down. The transmission is all out and I'm staring at two empty cases (bearings still in cases tho)

In the manual it mentions once the cases are apart to soak everything in a solvent then relubricate.

What solvent do you use? and what is the procedure? All of the bearings are in excellent condition, so I dont feel I need to replace. I didn't know if you should just rinse the whole case with some chemical or what.

Just let me know what you have done in the past. Thanks!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If all of the rubber parts and plastic are out (seals), you can use pretty much any solvent. I like laquer thinner because it's cheaper than the stronger solvents like MEK and Acetone. It's stronger than the cheaper solvents like mineral spirits.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Unless I'm regularly splitting cases, I would go ahead and replace the main bearings and seals while you have it apart. Way too big of pain in the ass to have to do it again in three months because you wanted to save $60 or so. The other bearings rarely wear out.
I use prep-sol (a grease cutting spray used in painting cars, planes and such) to clean the cases. It's about $5 a can at auto paint store. Then I blow them clean with compressor air. If you don't have a compressor, buy a large can of computer air spray. Any part I'm going to lube, I just use the same motor oil (20w-50) I run in my transmission. Don't lube the gaskets.

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
Ok thanks!
Yeah I am replacing the main bearings/seals on the crank, just didnt touch any of the others, but checked them and look fine.

Ill have to check out that spray.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Buy a gallon or two of regular parts cleaning solvent. Ask at a parts house or garage where to buy. It's seal friendly and will do your job just like the shops would do. (Cheap too) Can be used many times as well.

Before I had a parts cleaner, I used a big roasting pan (one of those big round oil change pans would be better) a parts brush, and a gear oil bottle so I could suck up solvent and squirt in places. It's nice to have compressed air for the final step to be able to get all the solvent and any little particles out of tight places. But you could get by putting your parts out on clean newspaper to air dry as well. Finally, wipe everything with a clean shop towel.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
kerosene works good-
thinner-
gas-
spin the berrings while cleaning-
blow out with a air compresser- lightly oil them with the oil you will use

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Kerosene is seal friendly, diesel is the same. Gas is a little dangerous. If you buy carb/parts cleaner at the autoparts store, it's just laquer thinner. It's much cheaper to buy laquer thinner by the gallon at the hardware store. Very few parts cleaners are seal friendly. The detergent ones used in cleaning tanks are, and so are some brake and all electrical contact cleaners. Everything else should not be used around rubber. Most rubber friendly brake cleaners will say something like o-ring safe on the can. Since you have removed your seals, you can use whatever solvent you want.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It is a good idea to tear an engine down if you seize it or break a piston. There will likely be debris in the crankcase and possibly brinelling damage on the rod and main bearings due to the sudden lockup. It's better to be safe than sorry.

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
ur730im911 said:
good idea: bore out cylinder and put new piston kit :cool:
bad idea: take off cylinder and split cases and tear engine apart :pissed:

Haha, I didn't think it was a bad job at all. Now putting it back together, well i'll have to let you know how that goes :laugh:

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
76GMC1500 said:
2-strokes are so easy.
Yeah! This is the 1st time I worked on a motorcycle.
I only ever rebuilt my 4cyl Turbo Eclipse, and the head and valve work were the most annoying part!
i love the bike w/ 1 cylinder and no valvetrain! lol

Top Bottom