Jul 3, 2006
I need so replace the rod bearing on my 93 rm 125.. I have my manual and have read through the steps on splitting the case and that is not going to be a problem for me but, as far as the rod bearing goes the manual doesnt tell me how to replace it or what needs to be done at all.. Just tells me to hae the repair shop take care of it.. So should I just split the case, pull the crank and do it myself or will I need to get the rod machined into the crank when I am done? what all is involved.. Dealer quoted me 240 plus parts for a bottom end rebuild..

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
the flywheel is pressed in there, so if you can get that out, do it. (it'll save you money) I burned up my bearing a while back, and to have my flywheels taken apart, replace the bearing, put back together and balanced, it was gonna cost more than for me to just go buy a wiseco hot rod crank assembly and just throw it in.

you can't replace that bearing yourself, unless you know how to split the flywheels, balance and true them upon re-assembly.

I just looked it up on pitposse.com and an entire crank assembly for your bike is about 170 bucks w/o shiping. Assuming you are okay with tearing your motor completely apart.

Good Luck!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You cannot change your own rod bearing because you have to be able to true it after assembly. The cost of a new crank from someone like Hot Rods with bearings and rod already installed costs significantly less money than getting your old crank reconditioned.

Jul 3, 2006
thats what I am seeing.. I can get a whole new crank for way cheaper than the cost of labor to have it done... New is way better anyways. Well this shouldnt be hard at all then because I already have the motor out of the bike, head off, cylinder off, and the piston removed.. Guess all I have left to do is pull the flywheel and split the case huh? Right on I should have this problem taken care of way sooner than I thought.. Thank you all. Jason

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Well, the actual splitting of the cases is the hardest part. They can be difficult to break free, especially if the dowel pins are at all corroded. But hey, go for it. I split the cases on my TT225 when I was 16 and had no mentors to guide me through it. I was able to repair a transmission a Yamaha dealer grenaded twice. They pulled the flywheel for me, otherwise I needed no special tools (just a little ingenuity and an impact wrench).

Jul 3, 2006
I think that I should be ablre to pull it off.. Just as long as I stay patient and dont throw tools around when something doesnt go right.. I know a lot of people that do that. I was looking at the motor today and it looks like the case has been split before, I can actually see where they tried to pry it open with a screwdriver (big no no in my opinion) guess this bike has had some issues in the past...

Top Bottom