cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Replaced the stator coil and getting good readings--403 ohms. Still no sparky. Stator shows good ground to chassis and good circuit at the plug ends of the red/white and black wires(when disconnected from the CDI). This is where it gets wierd. The CDI matrix says with positive lead to black/yellow and neg. to black.white(kill switch) infinity---ok. black/yellow to white/red(stator charge) infinity---ok. BUT black/yellow to black(ground) should be closed circuit and I'm getting infinity. AND black/yellow to black(ignition coil) should read 2.8-3.7kohms and I'm getting infinity. Is there any doubt that the CDI is fried or not??? Everyone I've talked with says the readings you get are meaningless and the only way to tell is to replace---that's expensive guesswork in my book. Any ideas?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
cicone said:
Everyone I've talked with says the readings you get are meaningless and the only way to tell is to replace---that's expensive guesswork in my book. Any ideas?

Everybody that you talked to is right!

But don't buy one; borrow one from a buddy!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Test matrix in the manual is wrong. There's a thread here somewhere that listed the correct matrix. I printed it out some time ago and have it in my shop manual at home. If you can't find it here in a search of the forum, let me know and I'll dig it out. It's good and helps out in trouble shooting.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
skipro3 said:
Test matrix in the manual is wrong. There's a thread here somewhere that listed the correct matrix. I printed it out some time ago and have it in my shop manual at home. If you can't find it here in a search of the forum, let me know and I'll dig it out. It's good and helps out in trouble shooting.
I'm suffering from a no spark condition and having checked
about everything have decided the CDI is likely bad. The
readings are pretty much in line with a revised table I got
from Tedkxkdx on the kdx site---just a little higher in all
instances(except zero and infinity). The glaring reading is
from +black/yellow(ground)to -black pin(ground)...I'm getting
infinity and it should be zero. Do you think this is the problem
and if so what part is likely bad in the CDI as I would like to
disassemble and repair myself.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
It is usually a bad SCR or a capaciter has leaked and corroded the circuit board. Unfortunately most cdi boxes are filled with epoxy and chunks of glass. Unless you have access to the chemicals to dissolve the epoxy, you can do more damage just trying to access the board. Try searching the net to find info about what works to dissolve the epoxy. Jaguar has reported success working on these units and is the man to talk to.Good luck

Top Bottom