Chain and sprocket advice needed

Bryan Kimsey

Sep 10, 2001
I'm going to putting a new chain/sprocket on my KDX pretty soon (using 13/50 gearing) and was wondering if the RK X-ring was good enough or if I should go for the DID X-ring. Ditto on Titax vs. Renthal sprockets (both alum.). I'm just a play-rider, no racing, conditions are New Mexico (dry, dusty).

My inclination is RK and Titax- I'd save almost $40 on the two, which is 1/2 way toward the next set.

What say, KDX Kin?

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I've got Renthal sprockets on my bike (13/49). With a Renthal O-ring chain. I put them on about 9 months ago. Almost no wear on any of the parts, a few dings in the rear sprocket but nothing wrong with the teeth. Oh..I ride almost every day too.

sngltrk

Apr 23, 2002
I have a RK X-ring chain and Titax sprockets (alum. rear) on my 1999 CR250. The chain and sprockets have about 400 miles on them with little to no wear. This set has gone through the spring mud and the summer dust of Michigan trails so far this year. After the initial ride in adjustment, I have not needed to adjust them since. I am very happy with the RK and Titax products, especial the Titax because of the cost savings. I had a RK O-ring chain and Renthal sprockets (alum. rear) on my 1992 KTM 300. This was also a very durable combination. About the same over all performance with the two set ups, but the Titax sprockets have a real cost benefit. No need to pay for Renthal name. As far as the D.I.D. chain being better than the RK chain, I don't see why one would be better than the other. They're both constructed very well, I would go with less costly one.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I use the DID 520 X-ring chain (DX520108) with Sunstar steel sprockets front & rear (12x47).

I have been very happy with the set up. It's been two riding seasons since i put the chain on and there is still plenty of life left in it.

The chain was $66.99 from Rocky Mountain.

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hey Bryan,i have no positive info on the answer radialite sprocket by talon, i use sunstar steel with very nice results.can't go wrong w either x ring
edit....forgot to say i don't like the aluminum cogs

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I got the RK X ring chain and Sunstar sprockets on the KDX and I was pleased with thier wear. Recommended. BOught them from MX South

Top Bottom