chain lube and various questions about my pit bike

Pin it

May 17, 2007
Hi i recently bought a crf80 replica with a 125cc engine and the thing rips. I know most people recommend not buying the chinese crappy bikes but i mean i got it brand new for like 500 so its all i could afford.

My question is that i know at some point i need to lube the chain but i was wondering when and with what and how?

also ive been wanting to buy new parts like maybe a softer seat or a new muffler or handle bars or something like that but im not sure where to look becuase everything is for the main brands like honda or suizuki or something... bot sure waht to do about getting parts for this replica bike

thanks a ton for your guys help ive learned a great amount since joining this forum

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I like dry lubes like MX1000 or MFR for my chains.

Parts? You nrrd to determine which bike yours is modeled from then that will be a starting point for chassis parts and possibly exhaust. Posting up a few pics would help us help you.

Pin it

May 17, 2007
is there any kind of around the house spray lube i could use? or is it specific dirt bike chain lube? and also when do i know i need to lube the chain?

also its a crf80 replica 125cc engine... would that mean i could use parts off a honda crf80?

thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Some folks use WD40.

What proof is there that it is a CRF80 replica? If it's just red don't bank on it. Also it's VERY possible the plastic is Hondaesque the chassis could be Suzuki-ish and the engine a Yamaha spin off.

Pin it

May 17, 2007
the place i bought it from said it was a crf80 replica.

so you think its all good to use wd-40 then?

when do you know its time to lube the chain?

thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Pin it said:
the place i bought it from said it was a crf80 replica.
Well then perhaps that is where you can get parts? (I doubt it)

Pin it said:
so you think its all good to use wd-40 then?
Not really I already told you what I thought was a good solution based on the criteria you gave of something around the house.
Pin it said:
when do you know its time to lube the chain?

thanks
After every ride, AFTER you have cleaned the bike.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Patman said:
I like dry lubes like MX1000 or MFR for my chains.

FYI - I wouldn't suggest ordering MX1000 right now. I paid for 3 16 oz bottles of MX1000 on March 22nd. Didn't hear anything from them and sent an email after 3 weeks with no response. Jaybird posted an email address for himself at ford a week later and I sent an email there and he said he'd had some trouble with changes on the website and would be sure to get it out to me asap. That was 4 weeks ago and I still haven't received anything. I've sent emails to every email address listed on their site, posted to a thread here that he had posted on, sent a couple emails to the ford address in the last week and a half - all with no response. At this point it looks like I've been ripped off for $52.31. Too bad because I'm a repeat customer and it's a great lube.

I've just reupped my subscription here so that I could send Jaybird a PM as well - it shouldn't be this hard to contact a company or to get a product. If I ever get my MX1000 I'll use it until it runs out and then I'll go back to a chain lube that I can get off the shelf so that I don't have to deal with this frustration. I've come to the conclusion that for maintenance type products your better off with something that is generally available off the shelf. :(

Last edited:

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
if you dont lube your chain it will stretch. get some bel ray chain lube, its like 10 for it.id rather buy chain lube then buy new chains and sprockets

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The chain will elongate no matter what, especially the typical China made chain.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Well, I have some good news on the mx1000. Somehow one of the many emails I sent made it through to Dave Hamilton at digilube - the parent company. He called me wednesday night and said he didn't know what was going on but that he would take care of getting me my product. I asked if he could overnight it as I'm leaving on a 3 day riding trip tonight. He shipped it thursday like he said he would and I received it this morning.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Patman said:
The chain will elongate no matter what, especially the typical China made chain.

I hear ya there!
My son's 110's chain was like wet spagetti. And not as tasty either. :whoa:
I replaced it immediately with some cheapo "bikemaster" chain, and it's done 20 times better than the oem.

Top Bottom