Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Hi All,

I recently broke a chain on my bike. It was the masterlink that popped, bent the pin on the next link, and it doesn't move freely. I only had about 20 hours on it, I kept it lubed, but didn't keep it clean. It is a DID. Has 'DM' punched on some of the plates, but I haven't found that designation anywhere else. Wanted to know where it falls in the quality dept. Is there an easy way I can repair this chain as a spare? I was thinking take it to the shop and have them install/remove the needed links and buy a masterlink as well. I know I should have paid more attention to the chain and I shouldn't mix and match old chain, new sprockets etc. It would be nice to have in a pinch though.

Next question-- I replaced it with a DID professional series O-ring chain. I wanted to keep using the clear silkolene lube which doesn't seem to gum up too much. I found what I thought was just a bigger can at the shop and it turned out to be pretty foamy and messy. It's very tacky and collects dirt like mad. How do you guys maintain your O-ring chains? It says on the box to soak it in Kerosene, doesn't seem like the best idea to me for fear of washing out the grease. Also, WD-40 says on the label that it cuts grease, so maybe that's out too. The best I can think of is washing it with a brush and hot soapy water in a pan, drying it, then using the clear lube again. Feedback Much Appreciated.

Joe Chief

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
This is a much covered topic. Use the search key above & you will be reading all night.

Opinions vary wildly but the best advise I can offer is read & decide because there will be nothing new I can add here.

except. . .
PS masterlinks are always a pain. If I can I use the rivet link & can still get the rear wheel out on my bike. If you must use some RTV to cover the link & help retain the clip.

If it isn’t a o-ring chain don’t bother trying to save the old chain.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Originally posted by Chief
It is a DID. Has 'DM' punched on some of the plates, but I haven't found that designation anywhere else. Wanted to know where it falls in the quality dept.

A DID 520 "DM" is what came stock on my RM. Quality wise it has held up well for me for 2 years now. Starting to get some slack and the front sprocket is starting to hook a bit. Rear one looks fine, but I wanted to change the gearing. So I ordered a new chain, and both sprocket tonight after work. These things aren't cheap, I'll try and keep it cleaner this time around.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Did you find out why the chain broke? Unless it is totaly worn out they usually only break because they are adjusted too tight.

You might want to check on that.

Hope this helps.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If it was the master link that popped , make sure you follow the right directions on the way it is installed. The rounded end is supposed to follow the direction of the chain rotation. Otherwise the open end might snag something and take itself off. They say even if you roll the bike backwards when unloading your bike off the truck you should double check it.

Top Bottom