Feb 25, 2001
I have seen many riders using this lube that turns white on the chain and is pretty tacky what brand is this ? I have used many brands currently using Sprectro SX chain lube before that it was Klotz and before that it was honda line. I have seen many mx racers using this white stuff. It must work good eh ?

Lostrider

Jan 21, 2002
You may be referring to Chain Wax. It is made by Maxima. It sounds like what you saw was similar to this product. It sprays on and dries somewhat tacky. It is paraffin (wax) based lube.

FLYIN_KAW

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 19, 2000
bellray goes on white like shaving cream or mousse.
also castle i think that is what it's called.
I like the belray myself goes on and stays on easy to apply

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Most all parafin based and "tacky" lubes will set up before they even get a chance to enter all the friction areas. Every bit of lube you see on your chain is a big waste of product. You won't even know a "good" lube is on your chain by sight. Good lubes penetrate to the friction surface and stay there while not attracting dirt.
The very first time you lube up with a parifin based or thick product, you may be ok...but the problems start when you don't clean off all the lube that has collected dirt and grit, which I garantee it has. It is probably holding dirt in your friction areas as well.
I agree that white lithium will put down a good layer of film that will indeed carry a good load, but most white lithium sprays are either too thick to penetrate properly, or they will have no anti-sling properties. Remember, what you see is no indication whatsoever of how well a lube works, other than if it's a thick wax you can bet there are better choices.
I always get a bit defensive talking about lubes, but I happen to work with them every day and have a vested interest in them. I've been involved in several studies of roller chain lubricants in the past few years and have found that even some of the largest companies in the world were once using methods similar to what some of us do to lubricate their roller chains. They too were hard to convince that there were better ways and better products to do things, but the thing is, these companies are smart and when they are shown proof of a theory, they take notice and make changes quick. Example....for many years, Ford Motor Company had a preventive maintenance schedule for taking care of roller chains within their plants. The plan included the oiler brushing on a specified, very high dollar grease with a paintbrush. This practice was a good one for the oiler because he simply had to swab on a glob of grease and he was done. After many tests were concluded Ford realised that this grease did not get the job done. The biggest factor was that the grease did not reach the friction surfaces of the chain. In fact, the roller chains that were seeing the best life were the ones being neglected. The reason for that was that the chains that were forgotten or let go for an extended period of time were getting at least a little lubricant because of the oil seeping out of the grease surrounding the links. This was the only time their chains were actually seeing lubricant at the friction surfaces. Ford has since changed their way of thinking and now use a dry-film molybdenum penetrating fluid for ALL of their roller chain lubrication. Their chains have seen a remarkable rate of longevity now, compared to past years. The moly theory also caused Ford to realise that the load carrying abilities of petroleum film (oil) would only last for a short amount of time before it had to be replentished, where as moly tends to stay put and do it's job for a markably longer period of time and can withstand greater shock loads than petroleum oils. As a result Ford also decided to use dry-film moly's on all of their chains, as well as just roller chains.
Just as a side note, and to prod some of my favorite WD-40 users(grin)....Ford has banned WD-40 from it's plants. The reason being that WD-40 would not submit a full disclosure MSDS sheet so they could obtain a Ford Toxicology number. This number is required for any lubrication product to enter a Ford facility. To gain the number, a Material Safety Data Sheet disclosing in full every part of the lubricants package must be submitted. WD-40 choose to just give up and let the Ford account go rather than turn in a sheet that proves that there is nothing in WD-40 that will lubricate accept a little silicone. They choose to let Ford go, and continue to BS their other accounts. :)

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Yeah Jaybird,
Please enlighten us on your choice of chain lube, does Belray super clean fit in the catagory of empirically correct? I know what you mean about it drying quicky, i have often thought about maybe first lubing the chain with motor oil first, then hitten it with something like Belray :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Speedway, lol...that actually isn't too bad of an idea!

Guys...I am in the process of marketing the very product we are discussing here. I feel that if I do go into detail here I would be violating the spam rule. I'd be glad to discuss this in private with anyone. I'll give you a website and a phone # if you wish. Or Jaybird@DirtRider.net
We most definately plan on advertising here, so I don't want to violate Okie's house rules in any way.
(you guys waiting on samples, they are being mailed Mon.)

Top Bottom