wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
i'm sure someone addressed this in detail somewhere on this site. but alas, i can't find the answer to my question. i just got an 03 crf450. just breaking it in. it's an awesome bike in all aspects...but the chain is making a slapping noise from low rpm while accelerating. after the first ride, i adjusted the chain-it was quite a bit loose. thought that would fix it. but took her back out today, and the noise is still there. i'm gonna pick up a decent chain soon, but from what i've read, there's a fit problem with some 0rings.? so i guess my questions are as follows:
have many of you crf owners had this chain noise?
is it easy to fix-how did you fix it?
what chain are you running?
if this is an old subject, i apologize. if you know those threads, plz post them. thanks for the help guys.
love this bike!!! :thumb:

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
the 426's that i've ridden haven't...just wondering if everyone is getting it. if so, that's cool. just want to make sure it's not my bike. thanks.

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
my ktm mxc-400 chain also slapps and makes nises, I was told the chain was too tight, I lossend it a little and it still slapps, it has too be loose to compensate for the travel of the swingarn in jumps, its a relief to know its not just me.

kaw 300r

Sep 18, 2002
i notice it on kaw 300r, at times it seems that if i oil the chain i quiets down for a while .. iam thinking its the nature of the bikes.....

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
might be the "nature" of it. my last bike was the ktm 520sx, and it had some nasty chain noises too. i thought i'd get away from that with the smoothness of the japanese bike. it's not too bad, just wanted to make sure it was normal. any other crf owners getting this?

teamgrn84

~SPONSOR~
Sep 3, 2001
I have an 03 crf450r and it has the same noise it is the same even now that i have a regina o ring chain on it. I put on a fastway countershaft spacer so the o ring chain will not rub the cases. This is the nature of the beast i readjusted my cahin all day 2 to 3 fingers from back of the chain guide it does it at low rpm's. Just haft to get used to it!!! Hope this helps!!!!!

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
definitely does teamgrn84. i'm glad it's not just mine. like i said, i don't mind as long as everything is as it should be! i guess i'll just have to stay away from those low rpm's!! i love this bike though. i never thought i'd switch from ktm...but here we are! i still love the ktm rfs bikes, but i like the way the honda handles. love the brakes too. not too much, not too soft. the size is a different story...stock handlebars with my 6'4 frame is not a good combo. think i'll go with the tag double hi bars. hmmm...spend MORE money! good times and great oldies.
thanks again guys.

Top Bottom