chain tightening

I have a 1998 KTM EXC 125 and my chain is getting pretty loose. I was reading in my instruction manual that I need a torque wrench in order to tighten up my chain. The manual says if I do not have a torque wrench to see my dealer.
Well, you guessed it, I don't have a torque wrench. So, is it necessary to have one or can I just follow the directions in the manual and tighten my chain without a torque wrench?

Thanks,

Dave

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
Torque wrenches are cheap... 59 bucks at Sears. If you're working on your own bike, this is one tool besides your service manual you should have...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
"really tight" is pretty subjective.. If this guy is a big ass football player type, really tight might break the axle. If he's a skinny dork (like I used to be), really tight might not be good enough. This is why they make a tool to measure tightness.

As I said, 59 bucks at Sears, no guessing then.

as indy said I am the big ass football player guy that would bust the axle.
Now, that being said, I have never used a torque wrench, and the book didn't tell me how much to tighten it. Is there a certain number I should be looking for.
Thanks guys

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
Your Service Manual should have all of the torque specs for your bike.. If you don't have one, I highly suggest that too.