Jan 14, 2005
Ok,, think I found the problem. wiyth my fouling plugzz, I busted a crank seal, I am leaking oil.cause when the plug is fouling it smells like burnt oil. That is the oil from the clutch area right ?
How do i change a crank seal exactly.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You will need to drain the oil and coolant, take off the kickstarter and water pump, pull the side cover (not just the clutch cover), remove the clutch assembly, remove the crank gear, and then somehow remove the seal (this is the biggest pain). How I ended up pulling it, was by inserting two screws into the seal and using vice grips to try and work the seal out.

Are you sure that it is the crank seal? :)

Jan 14, 2005
Nope not sure,, checked the carb float, piston is new and jetting was fine this summer. went smaller as advised by the dealer and the bike ran real bad. With present jetting it starts great , pulls super till thye plug starts fouling and the bike splutteringgive gas the bike won't move and it smeels like smoething burnt. So I guess. and am only guessing here,, that it is the crank seal. Ignition is fine too. because if that misfired then i would not be able to start it and ride 5 minutes. or a like last week 2 whole hours. It was real cold then so maybe my crank seal stayed inside.. Grin.. Honestly i don't know and just searching and eliminating, Because if i send it to the dealer it is going to cost me atleast 400 dollars min.

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
Million, If you think it is from the trans changing the crank seal is not your problem. The Trans oil and the Crank area are separate areas. If this is the problem it would be the area where the case halves meet in the center. You would need to split the cases.

If it were me I would try a few things first. Change to oil. Also note how much oil comes out. This will be helpful if you know how much you put in last change. If it is pulling in oil it will be using it just like when a head gasket goes and you are wondering where all the coolant is going. I would also add some dye to the oil. See your bike shop for specific dye. If the trans oil is getting in the crank area it will also bring the dye with it. I would run it till the plug fouls..take the cylinder off and look down in the crank area for the dye. If you see it you need to reseal the cases.

Hope this helps.
Bill

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
I am an idiot.. Please disregard my post.. It is most likely a crank seal.. They dye trick would still work.. But less effort to just change the seal...

Top Bottom