Cheaper Replacement Suspension Bearings

willstyle

Jun 7, 2000
I just wanted to pass along some info on bearing numbers that I purchased for my KDX suspension rocker arm. Here it goes:

Factory Part #________Bearing #________Qty:

92046-1192__________HK1612___________1
92046-1216__________HK2216___________4

It was kinda a hassle to identify these bearings exactly.
I used both Torrignton aand INA brand bearings, both a quality brand. The part #'s are actually an INA number. Both cost less than $3 each from my bearing house. The Kawasaki ones were $10-11 each at a dealer.

Also of note, the 2 larger bearings are pressed in a certain amount. So to easily replace them, I made a tool out of steel round stock. I turned one side, on a lathe, just under the press fit bearing size for removing the bearings. Then made a step on the other end the right depth for the bearings to be pressed in. Anyways, it really made pressing them in a snap. If any would like a tool like that, email me.

Hope this helps ;)

Will

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Great job on the xref. I've filed the numbers away for the next time. Did you also happen across anything for the swingarm bearings
(92046-1118)?

Also, there was another post complaining about the bearings that came with the Pivotworks kit - that the needles had squared off ends, and were not caged like the OEM bearings. Do these bearings have that problem?

Ref:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php&threadid=13890&highlight=squared

ps. I used a socket with a piece of masking tape at the 5mm mark to drive in the bearings so I got the proper inset. I envy you guys with lathes :)

willstyle

Jun 7, 2000
Thanks.

I didn't specifically look for the swingarm bearings, but I will let you in on a little secret.
Go to

http://www.buykawasaki.com/site/home/

and under the description it references a bearing number. A standard bearing number goes by the thru hole diameter x the width x height (sometimes depending on mfg.)
For example, the HK1612 bearing is a 16mm thru size and 12mm wide. At the kawai web site the description for the swingarm bearing is "BEARING-NEEDLE,TA202715ZE". I would venture a guess that the "TA" is a KOYO bearing thing and the "2027" is the industry standard number for a 20mm thru hole with a 27mm width bearing, just a guess though.

As far as the Pivotworks stuff, the bearings I bought were caged and very similar to OEM. I never have seen the kit up close though.

p.s. Being a CNC machinist does have its advantages. :cool:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I'm not sure the "TA" means Koyo, since the rocker bearings are Koyo as well, but their marking is "22BM2816". What does seem to be consistent on the Koyo needle bearings is that the first two-digit number is the ID, the second is the OD, and the third is the width (in millimeters). By that measure, the swingarm bearings (TA202715ZE) would correspond to an HK2015, if such a thing exists.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
great post !

I've been in the biz of bearing replacement for a long time , never really had much exposer to needle type bearing this info will be saved ! for future uses ! thanks for the leg work.

gorby

May 14, 2001
bearings for bikes

an exellent site for sizing and cross matching makes of bearing makes can be found at www.ntnamerica.com just click on the products icon and it will give a choice of searching or other good bearing info.

Top Bottom