dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
I know, I know, I'm going to get alot of comments on how I should just go out and get some real lube, but I was wondering if anyone knows about/ has ever used bar and chain oil (for chainsaw) on their dirtbike. I mean, when you think about it, that stuff is supposed to lubricate the chain, not fling off, and attract as little dust as possible, so why can't I try it on a dirtbike's chain? We have some extra sitting around and I was wondering if it would be a not-so-good-idea to use it, and if so, why. Thanks.

--dirtfreak

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by dirtfreak
I know, I know, I'm going to get alot of comments on how I should just go out and get some real lube

Yep...you should be able to find enough change to spend the whole $5 for a can

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I've been using it for years. It works great, and it's much cheaper than the bike specific filter oils. I've never had any air filter related problems with any of my bikes.

nzfred

Nov 22, 1999
We have a 40 Gal drum of the crud, we got it when my brother was cutting down trees for a business (about the same time I started riding) (about 9 years ago) and it still hasnt run out.
Works awsome!

fbonneville

Mar 19, 2003
Never used it but I have used Fork Oil in my chainsaw. That stuff works great but doesn't smell very good.

Hey what can I say, bought a chainsaw but forgot the oil, had to use whatever was in the garage, you know! :)

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Although I am not an expert in the subject, I have read of road bike teams that use conventional oils on their chains. That being said, I have used standard oils before on my chains, and it seemed to do a fair job, but seemed to work best if the excess oil had sufficient time to drip off (which in turn, makes you wonder how well it stays lubricated), and tended to leave a mess on the floor of the garage. I now use the chain lube from the mx1000.com website and am real happy with it.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Chain saw oil is not designed to attract as little dirt as possible as you assume. It is a total loss system that will self clean if too much dirt is not incountered. This same oil on a dirt bike WILL attract dirt and prematurely wear out your chain. Please buy a lube designed for your chain and wipe off ALL exterior lube while it is still wet. This will give you the best results. Trust this from someone who has professionally worked on chainsaws for 20 years and has worked on bikes even longer. I have tried every money saving option that made sense and this is my conclusion.

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
Thanks everybody for their replies. You all probably saved me from buying a new chain in the near future.

--dirtfreak

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom