Check out the new Yamaha '08 WR250R & WR250X Supermoto street-legal bikes!!

Hmmm, cool. Yamaha's first EFI 250s, nice. I think the SM one is sweet, I'd rather have a 450 version though...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Four valves, six speeds, wet sump, EFI, aluminum frame and street legal. This should be really interesting. Way to go Yamaha. :cool:

I can't wait to get a chance to play with the EFI system on these bikes.:yeehaw:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
They have a black version for the European market that looks pretty good too.

The Yamaha Europe website is claiming 29.9 hp @ 10,000 rpm and 17.48 ft/lb torque. That's lower than a stock YZ250F but not by that much, maybe 10-15%.

To put this into perspective I pulled an old issue Cycle magazine from 1973 where they tested the latest model RD350.

RD350 Weight - 351 wet & Max horsepower 29.82 @ 8000 rpm & down to 25 horsepower @ 9000 rpm. The usable torque of the RD was about half the effective rpm range that we'll see from a good 250f design.

As those of you who have ridden the old RDs know, they accelerate like a scalded dog, and are about as much fun as short haul street bikes get.

Given the fact that the WR250X has a serious street legal exhaust system on it and probably has the EFI mapped to pass the EURO 3 emissions standards (or comes close), yet still makes this kind of power bodes well for the potential of this new engine design and points to how well the new downdraft cylinder head flows. One thing is for sure, this thing will be some serious fun! I can't wait. :yeehaw:

Attachments

Last edited:

SpDyKen

Lifetime Sponsor
You are absolutely correct, Rich. with this analogy.

My 1979 RD400f (Daytona Special,) along with a few other circumstances, led me away from dirt bikes, and into roadracing. All it took was a few times at Blackhawk Farms, Elkhart Lake, & Mid-America Raceway.

With an aftermarket exhaust, and a few minor 'adjustments," this thing should be a blast!

I'm sure A.J. is going to be lovin' it! :ride:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
SpDyKen said:
My 1979 RD400f (Daytona Special,) along with a few other circumstances, led me away from dirt bikes, and into roadracing. All it took was a few times at Blackhawk Farms, Elkhart Lake, & Mid-America Raceway.
My path towards asphalt started with my 1973 Yamaha AT3 I outfitted with clubman bars and street tires somewhere around 1975. About five years later I was tipping over Production class bikes on those same Midwest racetracks.

I remember somewhere about 1985 a guy showed up at Blackhawk with a 490 Maico with slicks on it. Everyone thought he was a psycho till he started passing them. Once he got to the tight confines of Gratten he had the combination pretty dialed in and really showed folks something.

Dirtbikes on asphalt have always been a great way to have some serious fun, and this will just help more people find out. :cool:

SpDyKen

Lifetime Sponsor
Oh yea, I almost forgot about Gratten!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Gratten is like a big paved MX track. It was always my favorite especially in the rain.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
That does look sweet in black. I'll be following this one closely. Of course, a 450 version must be close behind...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
CaptainObvious said:
a 450 version must be close behind...
It seems like a logical step if sales are good on the 250 version.

SpDyKen

Lifetime Sponsor
I'm temporarily in posession of one of my friends X. He liked the first one he bought so much, he bought a second one.

I have put 40+ miles on this one, so far. Very, very nice bike! Quite docile and easy to ride; I have not pushed too hard, but so far it does everything I've asked of it. Seat is not made for large butts, like mine, to sit on for too long, though. This thing is a hoot to ride! :ride: :cool:

I'll report later, when my trip is over.

Wow, my old 2-stroke WR cringes at the sight of those............. "things". Why did they stop making the 2-stroke version. Aren't these WR's very simalar to the XT line of bikes?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
SpDyKen said:
I'm temporarily in posession of one of my friends X. He liked the first one he bought so much, he bought a second one.

I have put 40+ miles on this one, so far. Very, very nice bike! Quite docile and easy to ride; I have not pushed too hard, but so far it does everything I've asked of it. Seat is not made for large butts, like mine, to sit on for too long, though. This thing is a hoot to ride! :ride: :cool:

I'll report later, when my trip is over.
An edge grip report will be mandatory Ken. :nod: