Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Since we had the Christmas tree up with all the lights, I figured I would go around and test all of our smoke alarms. I found one in a hallway just outside our kid's rooms that was not working - completely defective. We have the AC kind, wired direct and interconnected with the other smoke alarms in the house. Even wired direct, it was dead. No battery backup in these units either.

The detectors were probably as old as the house (we're the second owner), and so are about 17 years old.

I went out to Home Depot and bought 4 new AC smoke alarms with battery backup and replaced all the units in the house. The instructions in the new box says to replace every 10 years regardless. FYI, here's a link to the model I bought: http://www.maplechase.com/firex/4518.htm

So just a little reminder around the holdiay season to check yours. And don't forget the garage and basement. Our neighbor is a firefighter, and he says the majority of fires that he's been to originate in the garage. Gas cans, old rags, paint thinner, etc.

Have a safe holiday!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Great advice.  I work in the Fire Alarm industry and can attest to the need for checking Life Safety Devices.  I recommend that you change them every five years. 

Top Bottom