wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I have a chance to get get one of these trucks for the right price. It has the 4X4 suspension package, V6 Vortec engine, Ext. cab. And plenty more options. Whats the general consensus on these? I like the deal, and my Toyota is on the outs.

:aj:

Attachments

• s104x4w.jpg
    s104x4w.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 53

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I personally wouldn't do it. The full size Chevy's are nice trucks, but the compact is only so-so. I like the Toyota Tacoma, can't seem to beat the quality on Japanese vehicles. My parents have 97 GMC Yukon after owning a Mazda MPV before it and we have not been impressed with the GMC. The parts are usually cheaper than Japanese, but it breaks down a lot more often then the Mazda. My uncle has had very good luck with his Toyota.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
That's the ZR-2 version of the S-10. I've got a 2002 ZR-2. I love it. I've got 80,000 on mine already. The motor still runs like new. It's got a 4.3L V6. I've been diligent on maintainance and most of that 80,000 has been highway. It's got plenty of power and is more than capable for mild off-road stuff.

My only real gripe is gas mileage. It isn't great for a small truck. I get 17 highway and 15 stop and go. Other little things, I broke the the seat tilt adjust on the drivers side and the third door handle. Both of those were probably due to my ham-fisttedness.

As far as the foreign versus domestic cars...I think a lot of the "quality" issues are old news. I'm not a "buy American or die" person and I'm not looking to start a debate. I think that most cars is the same class are comparable. IMO, it's just a matter of how well you maintain/service your car/truck and your personal preferences and needs.

Here's a ZR-2 site. :cool:

http://www.zr2.com/

Oct 10, 2004
great trucks ive allways owned a chev truck when I owned a truck, I have the 4.3 in my full size 1500 it has 155 000 km on it right now and runs like a top

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Strangely enough, the S-series vehicles are all I've ever owned. I'm on my third one in twelve years -- a 2004 Chevy Blazer ZR2. My '96 Sonoma is still going strong after 151K miles. After 20-some years of production (which has now come to an end, sadly), there weren't a whole lot of bugs yet to be worked out on these vehicles. Parts are pretty reasonable and there's an aftermarket for just about everything. There's also some excellent discussion forums frequented by guys who know these trucks inside and out. Tony91 already mentioned ZR2.com, and there's another called S-Series.org which is very good. I do like the ZR2 version of the S-series trucks, which sit higher and are a little wider than the regular version. The downside is gas mileage. The best I've done with the Blazer is 18 mpg on some flat, Illinois interstate. Most of the time it's 16. My Sonoma is 20-21 mpg on the highway.

Let us know what you decide.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Perfect new vehicle for your move west ...

FYI, my Sierra 4x4 4dr SB Duramax gets 16.5 overall average and 20 on the highway. The overall is slowly creaping up now that the motor is broken in at 90K.

S series trucks have been good solid performers over the years, but I have heard that the newer Colorado series trucks are worth the step up in comfort and engineering.

Top Bottom