JCR125

May 28, 2007
Okay i have searched for this topic trust me and i only found ones that beat aroudn the bush i need a direct answer to this question before i spend money on reeds...i took out the reed block from my 125 and its pretty much stock and has carbon reeds but on two corners the reed is chipped a little bit...but not enough to cause a gap or anythingit still seals the hole in the block...do they need to be replaced? ps. my bike is bogging like crazy and dies out...also found a clogged pilot jet which could be it...but if anyone knows that even if the reed is chipped a little tiny bit does it cause problems, thanks guys

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
YES replace them, they should have been replaced long before they had a chance to chip. just feel lucky your motor didnt granade because of it

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
How many more responses do you need? If they have chips, cracks or are frayed, replace them. You will see a steady loss of low end and the engine will become hard to start if you leave it the way it is.

Your boggong problem is probably caused by the clogged pilot jet, not the reeds.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
He's waiting for someone to come along and tell him that it's ok to run broken reeds..

If someone does tell you that, and they break and grenade your motor, are you gonna be mad at that person for giving you bad advise, or yourself for not listening to the many who said your reeds are shot and need to be replaced?

You can get a set of Boyesen Pro Series for that bike for under $50. Why on earth would you take the risk of having to do a complete rebuild............

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Could be causing your bogging.. If it's still there once the reeds are changed, you'll have to start looking at other things.

While you have the carb off, might as well give it a good cleaning.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Are all the corners that are chipped symmetrical?Some of the carbon fibers come that way.If you have reed issues or a clogged jet,then obviously it is not going to run correctly!

JCR125

May 28, 2007
lol yea...well the reeds aren't made this way its deffinatel frayed like you can see the fibers sticking each and every way...deff chipped lol but i ordered some Vforce 3s are those better than the vforce dynas or whatevers?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Carbon are what they are and fiberglass are your basic options.Used to be metal ones,they really sucked!Them carbon reeds can damage your engine when they crack off and go into the engine,this is why unless you are racing and changing them frequently,I would recommend the fiberglass.Other than that the difference is in the blocks.The tassinari valve is top in my book!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Plink said:
Help a noob out.

Can you tell me what reeds do? Where are they located? Sounds like they are in the carb??
thanks

They are in the crankcase, the carb boot attaches to the reed block.

Think of them as sort of "intake valves".

Top Bottom