Scott Perry

May 8, 2001
I went out for my first big ride on my stock 1994 DR 350 and it ran like the wind...crisp and powerful taking all the abuse I could dish out. 1 really awesome bike.

After about 30-40 minutes of hard riding it started to sputter and pop like it was running out of gas. It idled fine but would wnt to stall above idle. Just like when you are running out of gas. All iit would do is start and idle. Easy quick starts with the electric button and a perfect smooth idle but above that it would die. I was in the middle of nowhere (smart) and my brother had powered way ahead by now.

After checking all connections (and gas in the tank), I pulled the choke out just barely to that first notch and it came back to life. I immediately closed the choke off (it was open maybe 2 seconds) and the bike sang like a bird the rest of the day! Never as much as a whimper again. Crisp and powerful, good as new.

What gives here? What is my bike telling me?

Thanks,

Scott

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
bad gas, dirt, water or debris in the carburetor clogging a jet, pinched vent or fuel line. It is fuel system related. Pull the float bowl and look for crud in the carb, also might have to remove fuel petcock from tank and inspect the screen on it.

Scott Perry

May 8, 2001
Good Advice

I'll start there by cleaning the screen and checking the bowl. It might just be some bad gas but I'll check and clean things to be sure.

Is there a carb cleaner or something I can run through the system (via the tank and a few good rides) that will clean her out?

Oh, I was only running the 87 octane in there. I should probably spring for the good stuff...

Thanks,

Scott

z4me

May 4, 2000
No, you don't really want to do that. Anything that "washes out" goes through your cylinder. Take the time to take out your carb. Clean everything with carburator cleaner. While it is out and apart inspect your float level and float valve for wear. It really is not that hard to do and could save you from further probs later down the line.

- Sean

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
most fuel system cleaners would not be good for a motorcycle engine. they are formulated for fuel injectors that you find in late model autos. Try running 92 octane super unleaded from a name brand station (Texaco, Shell, Exxon)that has a lot of business, that way you will get fresher gas and less crud.

Top Bottom