Clarke clear tank is stained, any way to clean?

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Has anyone found something that will clean up a clear tank from turning colors? Not a big deal on my KTM, but a friends YZ is less than pretty with the opaque tank becoming brown tinted, any ideas?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
my stock white cr80 tank is black in the places I grip it with my knees, its not that big of a deal but it seems like its in the plastic! it wont come off

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Its the gas/premix slowly venting through the tank that makes it discoloured. The only way I have found on my RM to bring a little of the colour back is to sand it with a high grit sandpaper, then eventually work your way up to a wet sand. Its a pain in the ass if you ask me, if I could I'd jusst cove rit up with some stickers :)

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
try filling it up to the top with Av gas and let it sit for a few days. Then remove and mix 50/50 with pump gas and run. I have not done this myself, but a friend of mine swears it works.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Having a white bike, I can relate. The best thing that I have found in keeping the clay and red dirt stains off the bike is paint thinner. It works well if you do it regularly, but may require a lot of work if you only do it occassionaly. For times when the tank gets really brown, I use good ole' rubbing compound and\or soft scrub and follow up with paint thinner. Only works if you stay with it at regular intervals.

Top Bottom