Cleaning the chain before lube....What is good to use?

alisawildman

Feb 6, 2004
Just went to the State Park and put my first 18mi on my
03` KDX200 and the chain is a dirty mess.
I have WD-40 for days, but need to clean the chain well first.
What is a good thing to use to cleen the chain really good?
Thankyou in advance!
Also thanks to everyone at Freetown State Forsest last Sunday to showing me the best trails!!! Wow what a rush!!!
AL

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
I also use Kero or diesel on an old shoe polishing brush [soft bristles] then PJ-1 or 90W tranny oil. Different topic, where do you Mass. guys ride? I saw a state park mentioned? Are Mass. parks open to bikes? Any details, I live near Mass. line and Ct. opportunities are VERY limited. Any others feel free to chime in with riding areas in Ct./Mass./ R.I. :ride: Thanks, Jim G.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I wash with soap and water and use a nylon brush to knock off the big stuff. Then put the bike on a stand and spray with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Lubricant. After it has sat a bit, I wipe with a rag until clean and apply more silicone. It is a dry lubricant so the next time riding the chain won't be a sticky mess from grease or oil based lubes that leave a wet film.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
I spray WD40 on the chain and let it sit for a half an hour, pull the bike outside and using a garden hose with a nozzle spray all dirt and grime off. The chain looks brand new afterwards. Just remember to spray some more WD40 on after washing to stop any rust. Lube before ride and your good to go!

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Get a grunge brush. It is a brush that cleans 3 sides of the chain at once. I reccomend using some kind of degreaser for the chain or something. (correct me if this a bad idea.. but it sounds good.) Then let it dry. Then lube up with chain wax or silicon lube.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
with a grunge brush, you do no thave ot remove the chain. Put your b ike on a stand, apply some degreaser, hold th ebrush on the chain, and spin the wheel.

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
Good call KDXFREESTYLE, an alternative to GUNK is Autoglym motorcycle degreaser, its expensive but this range of products is fantastic and it comes in a spray can. The bike polish is also V good for restoring paintworks shine

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I use LPS #3. It is a rust inhibitor and pentrating oil. I clean first with WD-40 and the hose, get rid of the water on the chain and spray with the LPS #3. The LPS dries to kind of a soft waxy texture and doesnt attract dirt.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I can't believe that 12 posts have gone by and Jaybird hasn't set the record straight! Jay doesn't like my method...but I get the dirt off while I'm power washing the bike and hit it with WD-40 while it's still wet. After the WD-40 goes away, I hit the chain with a chain lube. I like the non-wax type of lubes like Honda-Pro Lube.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
jboomer said:
You don't use degreaser with o-ring chains do you? I thought this was a no-no.

I wouldn't. You don't want the degreaser to penetrate the o-rings. WD-40 and a grunge brush works for me, followed by a good chain lube. (Note: Wear an old shirt when using the brush.) I use Maxima chain wax, because it doesn't tend to sling off, and is seems to lubricate well.

Top Bottom