Kuejo

Dec 7, 2004
Well, I don't want to sound stupid, but I've read through the last year's posts, and haven't found much on chains. I have a 2001 KDX 220 that I bought used (lightly) 2 years ago, and and probably SHOULD have changed chain and sprockets then (you know - all the "new" bike tune-up stuff!!) But I didn't, and here in SoCal the season is really just starting, and I do NOT want to mess up my season by breaking a chain.

SO...

It seems from what I've seen that most would recommend an O-ring chain. Anyone strongly disagree, and for any reason other than cost? I am riding desert, so it's a lot of dirt here. I'm not adverse to pulling the chain to clean it if need be...

Which brings me to the second question - what IS the recommendation for routine chain care? Do you pull it off at the end of the season and give it a good cleaning? Do you pull it after each ride? (Again - lots of dirt/dust, if that makes a difference...) I know that O-ring chains are not generally recommended to be soaked - correct? Do you just brush them and then re-lube them? Light solvent, or soap and water? No pressure washer, right?

Third question - seems like a good time to change sprockets too. These are now 5 years old, and although lightly used (and I'm a pretty new dirt rider), if I'm changing the chain anyways, this would seem to be the right time, no? There doesn't appear to be TERRIBLE wear on them - the chain fits pretty loosely, but I think that's more the chain than the sprockets. I certainly don't see huge assymmetry in the two sides of the teeth. BTW - this is an o-ring chain on there now, but it is SO stiff. I can bend individual links, but it's proabaly a wonder it hasn't gotten me in trouble already - they really AREN't supposed to be this stiff, are they? I think I could bend it into a big S, hold it upright, and it would hold that shape...

Anyways, with regards to the sprockets, I know steel will hold up longer/better, and I'm not too worried about a couple ounces difference in weight. Any specific recommendations here? I don't think I'm going to change sprocket sizes this time - I like my bike, and my wife and kids are even gentler riders than I am, so I don't need a huge top end much yet - (but will probably opt for the RB carb mod at the end of this season!!)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Best regards,

Jonathan

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
muddertrucker said:
No pressure washer :bang: I just bought one mainly to wash the chain on my bike :| Where did you get this info?

Pressure washing a chain will force water past the o-rings and into the rollers, pushing out lube and causing corrosion. All bad things. You should NEVER pressure wash your chain or any pivot points, as grease is a better lube than water, so you don't want to go forcing water in those places!

As for chain care, I usually just wash the bike normally and then spray the chain down with some silicone lube (for my o-ring chain). With my regular chain I do the same, but use WD-40 and then chain wax later on. If either one is really caked with crap I'll use a stiff nylon brush to scrub them down.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
I used to hate chain cleaning before I discovered the Moose chain scrubber. I bought it from Dennis Kirk for about $25 a couple of years ago:
http://www.mooseoffroad.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1360&product_group_id=4663

This gizmo is great! So easy to use that you'll be scrubbing your chain with it after every muddy ride! It is a little box which has a removable lid. Inside it has 2 stationary and 2 rotating brushes which scrub the chain on all 4 sides. You fill it with cleaning fluid and "clamp" it onto your chain (that's why the lid is removable). Then you just spin the rear tire backwards by hand for about 30 seconds, remove the scrubber, and then just rinse the chain with water. Since the brushes scrub so well, I see no reason to use high water pressure. Then I dry the chain with compressed air (or a quick ride up and down my street) and spray with chain lube - I use Maxima chain wax.

Top Bottom