Clutch adjustment

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I have an 03 CR250 and the clutch doesn't engage until it reaches very near the end of travel on the clutch lever. If I loosen the cable then I just have a bunch of freeplay on the lever and the clutch won't disengage without removing my fingers from underneath the lever. What do you think the problem is? Do I need new clutch plates, springs, or what??? Thanks!

cr125-rm65

Oct 23, 2004
same problem

Hi we have a 04 cr125 and its always been like that i just put a after market clutch in it and had nothing but dragging problems so i got a genuine clutch, steels and springs and its the same as the 1st clutch the bike came with, no matter what i do its all the way out and if i give it just a bit to much fee play it wont disengage and he cant keep his fingers under the lever for race starts,,,, has me stumped must be a honda thing???

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Let me know if ya figure anything out! Hopefully somebody on here can help solve this problem.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Mine has been the same since new, and is how I prefer my clutch action anyway. Makes for easier clutching out of turns.

Wilky

Oct 21, 2004
My 04 CR250 has a clutch lever stop adjustment so you can adjust the free play out. Between this and the cable adjuster you should be able to make the clutch action comfortable. If you suspect that your clutch is worn then you should take it apart and measure the plates and springs and replace any that are out of spec.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I did check the plates, springs, and such and everything was within spec. I wonder if stiffer springs would help or a different weight of oil?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…