clutch and other questions please help

Sep 15, 2004
today i pulled the 98 kx 100 motor out and put it in a 92 kx 80 frame......fit like a glove.I went to kick it over and to my surprise it started on the 3rd kick :laugh: the motor sounded real good so i began to put the sprocket and chain on.after i did i took it for a ride and when i started to go it is acting like the clutches are slipping....the more throttle i give it the worse it gets.so i think.....i hope it is just the clutch.i let it sit for about 3 hours when i went to ride again .....i put it in 1st gear let the clutch out and the bike didnt move tried 2nd and still nothing.so i am hoping it is just the clutch right???also when i did ride it there was an extreme amount of oil coming out of the silencer.....i am not talking about spooge i mean actual oil dripping all over the swingarm.when i pulled the pipe off the 100 it was full of gas....it had been sitting on its side for awhile so i thought it was just burning out the oil that was left in the pipe.took off the silencer checked in the pipe for oil residue and found none...took the silencer apart and it is loaded with oil. will try to re-pack the silencer and see if it stops.has anyone ever used tusk clutches??i can get a whole kit for $35.00 online any feedback please this bike is for a kid so i am not trying to spend a fortune on it.also when i pin the throttle it acts like it is sputtering.Could that be the reeds or a plug??thanks alot

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Not familiar with tusk clutch kits, but the slipping problem sounds like you either have bad clutch plates or your cable is adjusted so tight clutch is always disengaged. Clutch plates at dealer for my bike run about $90, so your $35 pricetag sounds like a steal--if they are any good. As for the oil, repack the silencer and get the bike to operating temp for a while and see if problem is still there. If so, you are probably jetted too rich or sucking up transmission oil through the crank seal. Sputtering at wide open is likely jetting. Start by taking carb apart and cleaning jets and carb really well. Check float height too. Doubt the plug is your problem because it is more apt to crater at low speeds rather than high speeds.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
yankeefan4life72 said:
today i pulled the 98 kx 100 motor out and put it in a 92 kx 80 frame......

My question is: Why?

As for the problems you are having...

Was the motor running okay when it was in its original frame?
It sounds like the clutch is toast, so replacing it would be a good first step. Get it running, run a tank of known gas/oil mix through it, bring it up to an decent operating temperature and then evaluate the spooge issue.

Rod

Sep 15, 2004
thanks for the info guys.i did not even think about the cable being too tight.I re-used the clutch cable off the 80 and it was pretty tight,maybe the 100 cable is longer.never even thought of that.....but thats why we have places like this!!!Thanks alot.As you can tell i do my own work,but i never tried to replace a clutch.It isnt that bad right?Any tips or special tools i need before i start??I took the 100 motor out because the 100 frame was bent

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Replacing clutch plates is one of the easiest things to do on a bike. No special tools needed. Pay attention to the order they are in when you pull the old ones out. Drain your oil first, or lay the bike on its side or you'll have a mess. Coat or soak you new plates in oil before installing. When you're done, you'll need to readjust the clutch pull. If you don't have a manual (for the engine, not the 80) you might need one (Clymers is OK) for right procedure.

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the help....I came home from work today and checked the clutch cable.....it was way too tight.I re-adjusted it and away i went.I feel like such a putz!!!!DOH.i am still going to replace the clutch though.i cant go wrong for $35.00 besides it is the original clutch.It is running real good now.Thanks again i appreciate it!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom