Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Ok guys. Do I go with a Performance Engineering clutch basket at 139.99 or do I spent the extra money and go with a Hinson clutch basket at 224.99. It the hinson worth the extra money?

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
go with a billet basket. You won't regret it. Hinson makes an awesome basket but others are out there as well.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
ive seen the hinson as low as $189, and other billets for $149. the hinson is the only one that claims 5 times stronger than stock. Im getting ready to buy the hinson, does anyone suggest I go with one of the other (cheaper) billet baskets? Would they be just as strong?

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I purchased one through mx south a few week's back,HINSON.The clutch action is so definite,granted my stocker was a little used,but when it was new i had drag,i have no drag what so ever with the hinson.My opinion go with the hinson.You don't have to pay 225.00 Bargain a little.I like the way hinson has holes stamped out on top of the fingers,where the stocker is solid.Better oiling to the plates.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I've seen both and I believe that the Hinson is more expensive because it has the center gear already in it (this was on a YZ) and the PE one didn't. On the PE basket you needed to break the old basket off and then drive the gear into the new basket. It was quite a pain.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by mxneagle
I've seen both and I believe that the Hinson is more expensive because it has the center gear already in it (this was on a YZ) and the PE one didn't. On the PE basket you needed to break the old basket off and then drive the gear into the new basket. It was quite a pain.

No, the hinson does not have the primary gear and kicker gear already on it ,you have to strip it off your oem basket and put it on the hinson.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
yes the hinson basket comes with the holes for the primary gear they bolt on with allen bolt's.The kicker gear you have to place it in the freezer and the hinson basket in the oven before you drop that gear in the new basket..The rivet's were a pain in the ass tryng to get off the plate that holds the primary gear on the stock basket.The hinson also comes with a new plate.

CR 250 MXer

Jan 30, 2002
I had pretty good luck getting the rivits out of my old basket. I center punched and drilled out the end from inside the basket (opposite from the gear on the back). Then used a punch to tap out the rivits. I was also really surprised at how well the freezer and stove trick worked.

Top Bottom